Chapter 41: Trance

Derek and I were discussing what to do about Boyd and Erica when Derek's phone rang.

It was Scott and he said Allison found a clue to where they were being held.

"You don't have to come," Derek said, as I got M'Lynn and my diaper bag/purse.

"Oh no, I've been behind the scenes for three months. I'm going."

Derek didn't say anything and we headed out, kissing at the door.

I got M'Lynn in her car seat and we headed to the school.

Thank goodness for baby wrap carriers.

We quickly walked into a empty class room and Isaac, Scott, Lydia, Stiles, And Allison were all there.

Scott motioned Lydia and Allison forward and they placed their wrists together and they had two matching bruises.

"I don't see anything," Derek said, arms crossed.

"Look again," Scott said.

"How is a bruise gonna tell me where Boyd and Erica are?" He asked, irritated.

"It's the same on both sides," Scott noted.

"Exactly the same," Allison insisted.

"It's nothing," Derek said.

"Pareidoliac," Lydia said and we all looked at her. "Seeing patterns that aren't there. It's a subset of apophenia."

"They're trying to help," Scott said.

"These two?" Derek said, raising his eyebrows.  "This one, who used me to resurrect my psychotic Uncle. Thank you," he pointed to Lydia and then to Allison. "And this one, who shot about 30 arrows into me and my pack and almost shot my wife who was pregnant with my child."

"Okay, all right, now, come on," Stiles finally spoke. "No one died, all right? Look, there may have been a little maiming, okay, a little mangling, but no death. That's what I call an important distinction."

I raised my eyebrows at Stiles and he shrugged.

"My mother died," Allison said.

"Your family's little honor code killed your mother. Not me."

"That girl was looking for Scott. I'm here to help him, not you."

"You wanna help? Find something real."

Derek led me out with his hand on my back and Scott followed us.

"Derek Give her a chance. Okay, they're on our side now," Scott argued.

"Well then maybe you should tell her what her mother was actually trying to do that night."

Derek left and I stood there and he raised his eyebrows at me for any wisdom.

I shrugged. "Derek if you haven't caught on holds grudges. I also don't think he appreciates that she almost killed you and if Allison knew that maybe she'd have a different view and wouldn't have almost killed us."

"Which is why I can't tell her."

"I understand. But eventually the truth will be found because women always find the truth and how is she going to react?"

I gently patted Scott's shoulder and followed Derek.

We got back to the loft and Derek grabbed all the books he had.

We flipped through them trying to figure something out. Like a clue where Deucalion usually is. Patterns.

We were getting nowhere and Isaac couldn't remember anything other than what Peter had seen.