°04

SUNDAY; 8:31:17 AM

SUNDAY; 8:31:17 AM

One of my most devastating moments in life has made it to another day. As of now, I feel extremely bummed. Father had to also cajole me with words of encouragement last night. He stuck by my side the entire night as I do nothing but blankly stare at the walls and ceiling, contemplating whether what happened was real or not.

It was one pill that I find hard to swallow.

I woke up with a heavy heart and a soring head. My face contorted in torment as I stood up from my bed. I checked the clock across my room and realized I'm already an hour late for my visit at the orphanage. My butt then felt like it sat on lava. I rapidly attended to my morning routines once I became very much conscious with the time I wasted.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

Shit.

I was in a hurry. I had to rush right away. The children must be waiting for me. Oh, those precious beans, my sunshine. They must have felt sad thinking I might not show up.

I took a last look at myself in the mirror and headed right away downstairs.

I saw my father comfortably sitting on his rocking chair facing the glass walls, the blinds half-way left open. He was wearing his favorite grey bath robe and black bedroom slippers. Other than that, he was reading a newspaper whilst sipping on black coffee in a tea cup.

"Dad! I'm going to the orphanage!"

"This early? On a Sunday family day?" Taken aback, Dad put down the paper onto his lap and followed my movement towards the door.

"It's just going to take me the whole morning. I will be back at lunch." I answered, putting on my red beret. Afterwards, setting my locks right. "You better be. I'm cooking bone stew."

Father gave me this unknowing look that made me slightly nervous about what was going on his mind. He was definitely reluctant regarding something.

"I will be fine. I can do well. I'm going to eventually get over it. I guarantee you that." I said with utmost confidence to ease off his apprehension.

*

When I arrived in the neighborhood of the orphanage, I was stunned at how oddly quiet it was. It's been three days that I've begun to sense strange things happening in Seoul. And by strange, I mean something that's far from the usual things that occur here. Like how silent the streets are. Am I the only one who is unaware of what is going on? I should watch news more often.

All of a sudden, the stillness of the area was broken by a loud piercing cry of a man, somewhere near to where I was heading. I ceased from taking a step forward, baffled at what I heard.

Was that real?

I stood motionless, paying great attention to the sounds emanating from different planes. I grasped tightly on the box I was carrying with both of my hands. My eyes were all over the place and my legs were quivering in distress.