°35

SATURDAY; 1:13:04

SATURDAY; 1:13:04

"Lisa, do you think this would ever. . . end?" I said under my breath as we were nearing the gate of our house. We only needed to make a quick left turn for me to get in. But we had to be careful.

She stealthily crouched in front of me while I hide behind her. She was constantly speaking with the person over the line through her earpiece. I doubt she paid attention to my query.

She suddenly halted, seemingly eavesdropping to the noise in the vicinity. She looked over the houses in the neighborhood, squinting her eyes at the farthest point.

"I can't promise you that this will have an end. All I can reassure you is that you will live—"

"But what's the point anyway? How can you call this life when I'm not living anymore? For all I know, I'm just running away from my death." I objurgated, sounding hollow.

Lisa let out a bitter sigh. She rolled her eyes and lifted her palm to my face. "We're all the same, Jiseul. We're all just trying to escape from this massacre. You are not alone. There are plenty of people like you and I who are also dealing with this crap."

"What. . . do you mean there are people like us?" My eyes flared at the realization.

I heard faint footsteps not too far from where were standing. Lisa has noticed it too. She furled her brows together and pursed her lips in a thin line, showing utter disbelief in her facial expression.

Lisa stared directly in my eyes and whispered: "When I tell you to run inside your house, run as fast as you can and don't look back. Don't worry about me. Just go in, lock the door and go to your father."

I noticed the sides of her face getting damped with her own sweat, even her hair started to look like she just got out of the shower. She looked slightly distraught. The circles under her eyes were so dark that it overpowers the beauty of her hazel brown orbs.

"In one. . . two. . . three. . . run!" She fished out a pistol from the belt hinged around her waist and pointed it to the front. She took the lead as we sprinted in the same direction. There we saw two middle aged men in black suits and fedoras who were running in the opposite path as us.

The beating of my heart only intensified as I see these violent-looking people heading towards us. On the other hand, Lisa had her composure under control.

I realized she was either fearless or she was just too good at hiding her emotions. Because she didn't look scared charging towards the men who were preparing to strike at her.

I finally reached the gates as Lisa took cover for me. I rushed in just like she said but the dread got the better of me. I wasn't able to fight the urge to look at her. And boy, did I regret it so bad.

When I was about to open the front door but a sharp movement was captured by my peripheral vision. I spun my head to the back only to see Lisa single-handedly beating the men in suits with her fists and kicks.