V01 - Chapter 8 First Night RM

***

--- Fort Alnus ---

April 28th, 2025

Sharpe wakes up all sweating and breathing heavily. He takes a look around and sees that he is in the passenger seat. He looks around as he tries to remember where he is at. He looks at his watch and it said 0147.

He then sees the strange glow from the Gate. It is not bright or distracting, just an alien-like glow. "Damnit."

He grabs his helmet and gets out of the JLTV. He sees his Rangers in their beds asleep. The only one who is awake because he is on guard duty.

"Morning sir," Scott said.

"Morning Scott," he replied.

"You are up early sir," Scott comments. "Is there anything you need?"

He looks at Scott and then looks away. "Stay on guard duty. If anyone needs me, I will be on the western line."

He walks through the base. While the only source of light is the half-moon and the power-generation lights everywhere it is dark. Besides that, it is pretty dark.

He passes the British and Canadian sections of the base as he heads to the refugee section. They are the first NATO allies to arrive in this world and are establishing their base of operations.

He gets to the refugee section and sees the building he wants to check on. He nearly got to the door but stops himself. "Don't get attached Sharpe."

He then walks away, heading to the western outer perimeter. Currently, the outer perimeter is made up of a trench system around the Gate. Three kilometers out in one large circle. This style of defense is only temporary until the military is ready to build a more permanent base.

He gets to this spot on the line that is being guarded by two 2nd Division soldiers.

"Good evening sir," one of the soldiers said.

"It is morning Corporal," he responds. "How is the line?"

"Boring sir," the Corporal said.

"Good," he replied. "Keep a good eye out there though. We have no idea what is out there. Now excuse me."

He starts walking down the line until he finds a spot where he is alone.

Once alone he then takes off his helmet and sits down. He looks out and only sees darkness. The only light is the moon and stars.

He can feel his hand tapping his knee as he feels stressed out. "I don't know if I can do this again."

He takes a deep breath and pulls out his M1911 Colt pistol. He holds it in his hand and looks at it.

---

Rory Mercury looks out the window of the shack. "It seems like my little soldier is awake. But he seems to be struggling."

She sensed Sharpe coming over but saw him leave which confused her. She has been curious about this man's sense of the town.

She looks over to Selina as she sleeps. While she is not one of her worshippers, she has made a vow to protect her.

She thinks back to the town. While Sharpe thought he was alone she watched him confront those four men. She thought he was crazy to fight them, especially a lion. All for a slave girl to.

She decided to watch and see what happens and she was impressed by the results. Watching him carry Selina away in his arms she thought he claimed her as his property. However, that idea did not sit well with her because she felt something was different. He ordered his team to help the people evacuate when he had no reason to.