V13 - Chapter 166 Sofia Past

*** 

--- Earth, Philadelphia ---

January 27th, 2025

Corporal Sofia Everett jumps off from the back of the M1083 truck. "Good to be home."

She looks towards the city and sees smoke everywhere.

She was born and raised in this city. She has seen many things growing up here. Seeing it in flames terrifies her.

"Shit man," she says. "My apartment was downtown."

"I thought this was a joke," private Higgins said. "Just some riots again."

She wonders if her school is still intact.

"Let's go, everyone," Staff Sergeant Tucker said. "First squad with me."

As she walks with her squad, she passes a plaza. There are dead and wounded people everywhere. She sees one man missing his arm. People crying while others are looking for loved ones.

When she enlisted into the National Guard, she knew there was a possibility ok f being deployed to some foreign war. She never imagined seeing combat in her own city and seeing her people crying.

She follows her squad through the city. Fires everywhere, bodies everywhere. She hears weapons fire and people yelling in the distance.

She hears two of her fellow soldiers up ahead commenting on the burn makes on the building there passing.

"Keep moving," Tucker orders.

She looks toward and sees this dance club that is on fire. "Shit. I used to sneak into there."

"Sneak?" Hansen asks. "Isn't that illegal?"

"Maybe," she responds. She wanted to laugh, but seeing her favorite place burning. She can feel the heat even from a block away. "The owner didn't give a shit."

As they keep walking, she wonders if her friends got out safe.

She then this strange roar, followed up by yelling and screaming. Gunfire can be heard.

Tucker orders everyone to double-time it and everyone starts running.

As they run, they see this small car is flying through the air. A woman inside screaming for her life. The car ramps into a building four stories up.

She couldn't believe what she just saw. She was not able to stop and allow her brain to catch up because of her fellow soldiers screaming over the radio.

She rushes and the squad rushes forward to join the rest of the platoon.

She rushes around the street corner and what she sees is chaos.

A troll lets out a roar as it slams its large spiked club into a van full of people. A screaming people inside suddenly go quiet as blood sprays the windows.

She also sees this ogre beast reaching into a bus. It pulls out this man as he screams for his life. The ogre then eats that man and then reaches back into the bus.

"Get in the game Sofia!"

She rushes up behind her teammates as they take cover behind some cars. The thirty-five-size platoon opens fire at the two monsters and the Roman-like swordsmen on the streets.

She stands up and opens fire, killing a swordsman. To her surprise, the enemy infantry went down easier than she thought. With all that armor she assumed it would take more bullets.

The troll tosses its club at the truck some soldiers using, killing two and wounding three others.

With the combination fire, the troll finally dies. The ogre goes down an alley and flees deeper in the city.