V02 - Chapter 14: Siege of Italica RM

***

--- Italica ---

May 10th, 2025

Italica is a major trading hub for the Empire. Two of the Empire's major highways connect to the city. One is the Appia Highway that goes east to west, crossing the rich farmlands of the Greater Elies Region to Sadera. The other being the Roma Highway that follows the Roma River. It moves south from Italica to the port town of Beutem on the Blue Sea.

These two Highways are the heart of connecting the Empire. Italica sits right at the joint of these two highways making it one of the Crown Jewels Counts within the Empire.

Five thousand Imperial citizens live in Italica. Most of the population is Human however Italica has a decent size of Command Races like Elves, Nekos or Cat-People, Lions, Bunnies, and more. While not one of the largest cities within the Empire it is one of the wealthiest towns and has been a target of large hordes and bandits. Normally the Empire would have at least one Legion defending this important city however, most of the men were sent off to fight the enemy from the Gate.

Since the war with the warriors from the other side of the Gate, most of those soldiers have either died in the battle of or deserted into the countryside. Also, there have been reports of survivors forming outlaw gangs and raiding parties, raiding towns for food, and promised riches.

It has been two days since Princess Piña Co Lada and her three fellow Rose-Order Knights reached Italica and in those two days, the situation has fallen apart. A massive horde of outlaws attacks the city on the second day, nearly overwhelming the defenders.

These were not normal bandits but deserters. This made them well equipped and well trained.

Her comrade Norma quickly took command of the wall defenses, barely repelling the attackers. After killing dozens of them, the outlaws withdrew back to the forest line.

"This isn't good, we don't have the manpower to withhold another attack," Grey said, looking at the city militia. Most of these men are traders, farmers, sailors, and other non-combat trades. None are soldiers.

Norma is cleaning the blood off his sword, just arriving from the wall. He is all serious, not in his usual cocky self. "Yeah, I bet some of the outlaws were guards to this place. They seem to know the city defenses well."

She walks along the eastern wall as she thinks. She looks down and sees the women tending to their wounded husbands and sons. She notices many of the men are older or younger.

"The Count, Colt Formal took all the fighting men to the Other Worlders and died in battle," she states. "This means we are probably the only professionally trained fighters."

"And let's not forget that fool Colt outlawed the Guilds leaving no one to hire for help," Norma states.

"Hiring mercenaries have never been an ideal thing," Grey said. "I found trusting soldiers who only value money usually ends badly. Friends today and enemies tomorrow."

After listening to how bad the situation is, she asked, "Well, what is the plan then?"

She somewhat regretted saying that out loud as she noticed some of the peasants overhearing her. She is the Princess, after all, she is supposed to have all the answers and lead her troops. Not running around scared to death and asking questions.

She is already seeing how different the world is outside the city's tall walls in Sadera. She has been outside the city before, however never far without being heavily guarded.

Grey looks to her and speaks up first. "Nothing right now. They were just weakening our defenses, Princess. Norma, and I will go to the wall and see to the situation. You and Hamilton go get some rest in the palace."