V02 - Chapter 26 New Allegiance

--- Myuute's Journey ---

It has been eight days since arriving at Alnus Hill. This is the second time she has been to this hill. The first time was nearly four months ago, right before the summer season arrived. The original was that they were supposed to be the second wave that was attacking the world on the other side of the Gate.

At first it seemed like the invasion was going well, that was what I was told by her Troop leader. But then all communication from their forces from the other side was suddenly lost. The Empire sent in a small force to find out what happened to them and they never came back.

After no contact with their recon force, General Ulr Dan decided to form a defensive formation around the Gate until they found out what happened.

She was not stationed on the front defensive line by the Gate. She was farther back in the reserves, able to assist if needed with her magical abilities.

Being a Siren, a humanoid bird species, she has the magical ability to create and control wind. The Imperial Army uses her kind to create wind shields, to knock arrows and ballista off their course.

There was a massive, large force here from all corners of the Empire. The Empire is massive, covering most of Falmart. In addition, she never realized how many different types of races they had influence over.

While the hundred thousand strong force were mainly made up of Humans, there were Orcs, Goblins, all kinds of Hybrids, Trolls, some Elves, and other magic users. It has become rare to find people who are able to do or willing to do magic. The Legion was not this big in the beginning, more and more forces kept arriving after riders went around city to city calling on more forces.

Again, she was not stationed by the Gate but a soldier that was there brought one of these strange animals that came from the other side of the Gate and came to her camp. Its skin seemed to be metal like armor, like the ones on soldiers which is weird since she never seen an animal with metal skin before. It had no blood inside, just these small colorful ropes inside it. She tried eating it, but it was not tasty.

It has been a long time since they lost word from the advance force and by this point, they all assumed that they were all dead. Everyone that was sent through the Gate never came back, so the Generals decided to stop sending people through.

There were many different ideas on what happened to the men on the other side. Some thought they went to heaven or the underworld, others believe that they entered a land with naked beautiful women... 'Men'... While there have been other ideas, most believe that they are just dead.

She was told by one of the Volralden that a few more of these 'things' came through the Gate. They were easy to kill; they seem to have no natural reaction like an animal would. One of the soldier's opinions was that it might be some kind of demon.

Everyone though it was a stupid idea, including her. How could this weak turtle?... kill their people? It can barely move. That is when someone brought up a scary point. If these 'thing' did not kill the advance force on the other side of the Gate, who did?

A few more days passed, and everyone is bored. She joined a few soldiers to raid a nearby village, looking for food and entertainment. While they found food, the entertainment was not very entertaining for her. Just the usual raiding, nothing that changed the boredom.

When the Empire called for recruits for this grand adventure, riches, slaves, and glory was promised. For her, she was not interested in the riches, well she would not mind it.

Magic has been on the decline for generations because today warfare is much faster. Depending on the spell and level of the user, magic can take a long time to prepare to make it effective on the battlefield. It has been harder to find an effective role for magic in large battles. She wanted to prove that magic still has a place in their world. She wants to show that it matters, they matter, she matters.