V12 - Chapter 144

*** 

--- Alnus Community, Alnus Public School ---

February 8th, 2026

Selina Sharpe is at her desk at Sarah's new school. It is the first day. Upfront she sees Sarah talking about the English language.

Right now, Sarah is explaining how important it is to know how to write the words you speak. Nothing complex as today is the first day. Currently, she is showing how they can write their names. She said it is important to know how to write your name, that it is part of your identity. She explained that they will need to know this because they do not want to be swindled by a crook and have your identity forged.

She also sees Noriko sitting there with her baby Tenchi. She was offered a job to be Sarah's assistant during class. She also has heard of this bat becoming a teacher with Sarah. She was the one who set up the classroom but does not seem to be here today.

She looks over and sees how big Tenchi has gotten. He looks so cute and she wishes she could leave school and play with him.

She looks over and sees the other student. There are eight other kids her age. She only sees two other girls.

She has not met everyone besides the two who picked on her in the past. The bigger boy who is sitting back ignoring what Sarah is saying. The other is this purple humanoid Medusae(1). She also sees this batboy off in the corner of the class. She heard that he is Mentiv's little brother.

When she was starting to learn how to read she was picked on by a few kids in the town. They did that because she is a girl and low-class girls are not normally allowed to read. They destroyed her father's tablet as a joke when she was alone.

Then they picked on her because of her worship of Miritta. Outside strong centers of Miritta worshippers, people see them as whores. They have seen a low-class deviant that deserves to be treated as such.

Karlin, the Kitsune she has been hanging with has explained to her that this has not always been the case. She is a fellow Miritta worshipper but has beliefs the priestess in Edras would consider heresy. But the more she hears Karlin's ideas the more she likes them.

All the other students are wearing more ragged clothes, showing that they are from carpenter and farming families.

Now that everyone knows she is royalty from Edras, all the kids ignore her. Peasants are normally not allowed to associate with noble or royal blood.

She hates how everyone judges her based on her country's blood and faith. That they do not take the time to get to know her and see she is a good person.

She does not consider herself royalty anymore. The nobles and cult leaders gave her away to the Empire when they took over the Edras Kingdom. The only thing she considers herself now is the daughter of a US Army Officer and she does not understand why that cannot be enough with these people.

A princess is a leader and symbols of a country, part of its leadership. She does not see herself as a princess because she has no home outside of her father's side.

She starts to think about what Tyuule said, that she will never be able to escape that. That it is a part of who she is and that she must accept it(1).

"Selina," Sarah said.

She looks up and realizes that Sarah was calling her name. "I am sorry?"

She hears a few of the other students chuckle at her, realizing that she spaced out. Looking at the situation she notices that Sarah has been calling her name.