V04 - Chapter 44 Operation Night Wing RM

***

--- Apex Liberty Bar, Alnus Community ---

June 26th, 2025

Delilah is currently washing some glasses while at the bar. Today is just like any other day, soldiers and Alnus villagers enjoying themselves. There is laughing, parting, flirting, getting drunk, everything you expect with a bar.

Unlike everyone else who are enjoying themselves, she sees this one man who is sitting at the bar booth. Alone and quiet, drinking from his massive mug.

She decides to walk over to him. "Hello, Wolfe."

Wolf, he is a Volralden, a tall and strong wolf race. He reacts to her, not liking the cute nickname.

"What is on your mind, Wolfie?" she asked him as she winks at him. She can tell that something is on his mind.

Wolf pushes his mug over to her. "I just like a refill."

She signs and takes the mug. She begins to refill his mug.

"Come on. What is going on?" she asked again.

Since becoming a waitress, she has learned a lot about people. She is always impressed by how people open, especially to someone with a pretty face. Probably because people are looking for a place to let out what they are thinking.

Wolf breaths. "I feel useless."

She left her ears bent, confused by his meaning. Wolf is a Volralden, there are a lot of uses for someone like him. "Your joking, right?" As she talks, she brings his mug back to him.

"Look around and tell me what you see," Wolf asked her.

She looks around. She sees the usual stuff, some of the soldiers getting a little too friendly with the wait staff. People getting drunk, playing games.

She looks back at him. "I don't see your point."

Wolf takes the mug and takes a drink from it. "When I go from town to town, people usually need me to help fix some problems. Rescue someone that was kidnaped. Kill some goblins, bandit group or do heavy labor that needs to be done. After that though, people can't wait for me to leave."

"Now. Everyone here is very friendly with each other. No fear of the world. Protected. How does someone like me make a living?" Wolf said.

"Hmm...," she thinks about what he said. She agrees with him, he has a point. Since her kingdom fell to the Empire, she has been on the run. Trying to avoid being enslaved by anyone. Having to do many things she now regrets, just to survive.

Since arriving here, most of all those feelings disappeared. Never once in the past three years, she even felt more welcomed. With the military might of the Other Worlders here protecting them, nothing seems like a threat anymore.

That is when Delilah realizes what he is also saying. This new peace puts people like Wolf out of work. If people do not need to hire security, what does someone like him do?

"I understand. I used to be an assassin for the Warrior Bunnies," she brings up. "Once my kingdom fell, I didn't know where my place was. But I am here now. The soldiers annoy me at times, but I enjoy this place."

"I agree. That is why I haven't left yet. I still feel useless though. How can people thrive when they let others fight for them?" Wolf said. "The Empire is the enemy of all and yet everyone here lets people form a different world fight for them."

That hit home for Delilah. She was a soldier for her country, the Empire either enslaved her people to be raped or were murdered. Yet here she is, waiting for a bar booth as others fight her enemies.