V09 - Chapter 98 Christmas Beginnings

*** 

--- Alnus Community ---

December 4th, 2025(1)

Sharpe closes the door and walks away from his apartment building. The only source of light is the streetlamp and the building lights. It is still early in the morning, just after four am.

In his arms is his adopted daughter Selina, who is still asleep.

"I don't remember you being this heavy." He comments to himself as he walks over to the HUMVEE he checked out form the motor pool.

It has not crossed his mind recently how it is becoming clear that Selina is growing up. Still young but she is slowly growing out of that little girl he first met.

"Aww..." Sarah commends as she yawns.

He walks up to the HUMVEE and opens the backside door. "Knock it off."

"You invited me, remember." Sarah points out.

He sits Selina in the back seat but sees her wake up a bit. "It is ok kid, we're going on a trip. You can go back to sleep."

"Hmm...? ok," Selina says.

"Hi, Selina," Noriko said, sitting on the other side as she holds onto her baby.

"Hmm? Hi..." Selina says as she falls back asleep.

He closes the door and looks back at Sarah. "What?"

"Why you are bringing Noriko? Never saw you as a babysitter." Sarah says.

He walks to the driver's side of the vehicle. "She is Selina's friend and I like this to be a special day for her. And besides, Noriko needs to remain connected to her country."

"Ok, that is sweet. And I am just going to assume it has nothing to do with the fact that the baby is a prince?" Sarah says.

He looks up at her. "That is the last time the kid is referenced as a prince Sarah. Born on American soil so he's American." He says as he gets in the driver's side of the vehicle.

Sarah gets in right after him and buckles up.

"Thank you for letting me come, Sharpe. I promise not to be a burden." Noriko says with a yawn.

"It is no problem Noriko. Just keep it all a secret ok." Sharpe responds.

As Sharpe drives into the town of Alnus, there is this small amount of mist around, hovering at the building level.

"This place looks creepy at night. Like some horror film." Sarah points out.

"Never really watch horror films." He responds.

He always likes watching films and movies. There are two main reasons he has found he grew into a movie guy. One it has been useful for him to escape from his daily life. From school being somewhat of a social outcast to the growing stress of being a soldier. The other reason he learned back in basic from his mentor Harper, he recommended finding creative ideas in media if he is going to watch it. That you never know where you might get an idea from.

Horror on the other kind, it has never settled well with him. Usually, there is too much pointless gore for the sake of gore. Or just pointless jump scares.

"Really, a movie buff like you," Sarah says with a little shock.

"Never been my cup of tea." He responds.

"Never thought anything would scare you." She says chuckling. "Anyway. You know the girls will be pissed at you."

He glances at her. "Why is that?"