V02 - Chapter 18: Siege of Italica RM

***

--- Italica, Palace Balcony ---

May 10th, 2025

Princess Pina stands on the palace balcony watching over the battle. She tries to count the number of bandits out there but is unable to figure out the total number. She cannot believe the size of the force attacking the city.

"Princess..." Hamilton said in a scared tone. "There are so many..."

"I know," She replied.

All her life, Pina wanted to be a female knight on the battlefield, and now she is going to die on her first mission. "This... this is what war is like?"

She looks at her servant Hamilton and sees the fear in her eyes.

She then sees Countess Myui Formal standing there, looking out onto the battle. A part of her is angry at her for allowing the Americans to take control of the city defenses. She thought about enacting her royal powers and stripping Myui of her powers in order to take direct control of the city.

"Why did you give the Americans control of your city?" she asked.

"Because he was correct," Myui replied. "You didn't have a plan to protect my people. My father died for the Empire and the Empire returns that favor by abandoning us."

"We didn't abandon you," she replied. "I am here, risking my Knights' lives. My own life. And don't forget, they killed your father."

"In your invasion," Myui replied. "He died in your invasion of those people. And that man spoke like my father(1)."

Now she wished she had used her powers to strip Myui of her Countess, but it is too late.

She looks around and sees soldiers clashing on the eastern wall. It looks like the bandits are making one massive push to overwhelm the gate. She can hear screams and cries throughout the city.

"Princess," Hamilton said, shuddering a little. "I think you should escape."

She looks at her servant. She has been very loyal, serving her since when they are young(2). "Grey is still out there. I promised to defend this city and I won't let these Americans take the glory."

A part of her wants to run, knowing she can escape from the north to the Row Stream. But she knows her Knights are coming. They will come too late but when they arrive, they will be slaughtered by the horde of bandits.

--- Italica, Eastern gate ---

The attack came out of nowhere, none of the sentries that were on the wall noticed the small sneak attack. Some of the bandits were able to get on the wall, distracting the city militia, allowing the main force to advance against the east gate uncontested.

Vanguard-7 is rushing to the western gate after hearing the battles.

"Sergeant Major, take Alicia and guard the gate. Everyone else with me, we've got to hold the wall," Sharpe orders over his radio.

Everyone acknowledges his order and splits up into the assigned teams.

It takes some time to get back to the wall as many of the townsfolk are getting in the way. Everyone is panicking and the little discipline that was left vanishing. He sees the ranks forming up, but they are sloppy.

Randy is a war veteran from the Middle East, and Alicia's record in Ranger training shows that she specializes with close combat. He hopes they will get to the militia's position and rally them to hold the line.