V08 - Chapter 85

"NATO Forces have surrounded the Capital city of Elies, Havcristen. Havcristen is considered the gateway to the legendary fortress of Legrath. According to NATO Expedition leadership, they believe taking the city would grant total control of most of the region, cutting all viable logistic route for Imperial forces.

Lieutenant General Charles Stanford is committing the largest attack force yet in the war to the city. Nine countries and twenty-two thousand soldiers mobilized for the assault.

The reason for the large number of troops is because the Empire is making a major stand at Havcristen. Army intelligences believe there is about thirty-five Legionnaires in the city, prepared to fight. This does not include the five thousand who bene fighting NATO forces on the outskirts of the city.

The military is not taking any chances after learning that both Legatus Propraetor Pelue Muilk and General Krysist are leading the defenses. Muilk leadership has held the region together, being a long term ruler over the region. However, Krysist has proven to be a formidable enemy. His tactics and strategy have differed from the traditional Imperial method of waging war. Some military scholars have labeled him to ancient generals like Hannibal, Fabius, and Sun Tzu.

Many expect the battle to be bloody and devastating as the city is vital for both sides. Once the city is taken, all doors are open for the final assault on the prize of the region, Fortress Legrath." – SCNR Jessica Moore

***

--- Havcristen, The Greater Elies Region ---

October 8th, 2025

General Krysist is standing by this table, looking at the map of the city.

Havcristen is an old city, going back to the old elvish kingdoms. While no longer an elf city, the layout still resembles their style.

The city is exceptionally large, able to hold up close to three hundred thousand residences. It is a major trading hub for the Empire, with seven different small highways linking to this one city.

While the city is larger than Italica, it has never been able to displace it from being one of the major trading cities in the Empire. Most of the trade worth in this city are just slaves and agriculture goods while Italica trades more in gems, manufacturing, and luxury goods.

Another reason is that Italica is far safer than Havcristen. It is known that goblins raid the countryside and the Imperial Army station here only prioritizes aid to those who pay 'proper' taxes.

The city is cut into two by a large river. Four bridges connect both sides of the town.

Since arriving, Krysist has bene studying everything he could, trying to find any use he could for the defense of the city. He understands if he misses anything that it will cost the deaths of hundreds of his comrades.

That is when he hears the door open behind him. He takes a glance over and sees Muilk walking forward.

"Legatus Propraetor Pelue Muilk, I am glad to see you alive." He said.

"Do not give me the lighthearted talk. Do you have any idea what it is like out there?" Muilk asked in frustration.

"Yes, I do." He responds, looking back at the city map.

"You know how many soldiers we lost out there?" Muilk asked.

He looks back at him, not enjoying being disrespected like that. "Don't you dare speak to me like that Legatus. After everything I have done for you and your men. Let us not forget, my Legionaries, are out there too, fighting side by side."