V11 - Chapter 133 Bregrath

*** 

--- The High Hills, The Old Ruins Fortress of Bregrath ---

January 10th, 2026

Major Sharpe is moving through the forest with the rest of his Ranger team. His Ranger unit is spread out as they move up. In front of him is an Elbe scout and behind him are two Elbe Knights and Dr. John Monra.

Back at Camp Galileo, Colonel Tim Esper and Dr. John Monra explained to him of a developing situation happening at the base. Camp Galileo has many different scientific departments stationed there. They explained to him that during a recent mission they were attacked by a small Imperialist group. During the ambush, two scientists were taken, and a soldier was wounded by arrows, forcing them to retreat.

One male and one female were taken by the Imperialists. It is believed to be the Empire and not a rogue of bandits because the attack was well organized. The military team that led that research mission said that they tried to go after the two scientists, but they did not have the personnel to defend the remaining group and go through the forest to engage an unknown enemy. There was an attempt but one of the soldiers was wounded by an arrow and there were other civilian scientists to protect.

What was surprising was how the Imperialists attacked. Somehow, they were able to set a trap during night cover and then attack at dawn. So far NATO personnel had the night advantage because of thermal and night vision technology. Hearing that, he wonders if the Empire has developed its own version of night-vision goggles or some other method.

John explained that the Imperialists took one of his scientists during the ambush. They don't know how they accomplished that, but they are out of them before the Empire gets a chance to enslave or kill them.

Dr. John Monra is the head of the Department of Ex Terrestrial Biology under the Uros Research Expedition. He is obsessed with Uros different types of biological diversity, wanting to find a way to prevent a second pandemic from happening again after he lost his wife in 2020.

The three Elbe soldiers are helping his Rangers navigate through The High Hills, being a border province of the Elbe Fiefdom. King Duren happily assigned a few to Camp Galileo and other camps to help NATO by providing local security and navigation. The military was happy to accept since they were born on these lands and they would know them best.

"Doc," He said. "We can handle it."

"I said before and I will say it again," John shoots back. "I insist on coming. They are under my department and I want to make sure they are safe. Besides, I've been out here a few times so I can be useful."

"In other words, he doesn't trust the locals," Sofie comments in a demeaning tone.

He glances back and sees Sergeant Major Randy Dodson saying something to her quietly. He has noticed his newest Ranger has an attitude, but Randy keeps assuring him that he is dealing with it. He trusts Randy, being a veteran from the War on Terror.

He glances back up and sees the scout name Tasmro and Tuka talking to each other. Tuka has started to show her tracking skills because of her time fighting the Empire. "Where are we going?"

"Tasmro said there are ruins up ahead," Tuka answers. "The tracks say they went this direction." When he hears ruins, he starts to think about all those video games and television shows which have them. They always mean something bad.

He looks over to Rory. "Rory, is there anything I should know about these ruins?"

Rory looks at him and then looks up the dense forest hills. "Legend said there was once a mighty Elven kingdom here called Amosy. They were once a mighty kingdom thousands of years ago before the Dark Age, so the legend said. The old capital is south of here. But I haven't visited this area in fifty years"