CH. 2 The Interrogation

We pull up to the house silent as the Hansen children have ever known to be.

I look at West before getting out of the car.

He shot me a glare, silently mouthing, "Dead meat."

Well, shit.

As soon as I can, I throw open the car door, sprinting to our front door to type in our pad-lock code.

Our massive glass door beeps and unlocks itself.

Without turning back, as I already hear my brothers feet pounding on the sidewalk after me, I run inside— taking a swift left turn to find our staircase.

I've got to get to my room.

In there they can't question me or talk more about Lucas.

How could they look up to him even after he left us alone to fend for ourselves?

It was stupid. They were stupid.

Lucas was nothing anymore. Nothing but a mere memory of my childhood.

I heard foot steps behind me, and I did the one thing I shouldn't.

I turned back.

From behind me, I saw Lance close on my heels.

"Violet!" He screamed, increasing his pace.

My eyes grew wide, and I kept running, not willing to listen.

But, when I turn my head forward, everything became black and sooner than I knew I was staring up at my ceiling— my back to the floor.

I groaned, pained from my fall, "What the fuck?" I mumbled, raising my hand to my forehead and rubbing the place where I had hit it.

But before I could fully become aware again, rough hands grab my wrists hoisting me up.

A small gasp leaves my lips as I soon come face to face with the person I least expected to see.

"Lucas?" My eyes come into a deep stare of his.

His face is worn, stubble coating his sharp jaw.

He blinks.

"What the fuck," I mutter a curse, face to face with this once-called brother of mine.

Shock irked my bones, causing my blood to run cold.

Lucas remained silent as the rest of my brothers caught up in the hallway behind Lucas and I.

They stare, but not shockingly.

As I look around the room, it becomes evident that I'm the only one with dumb-struck eyes.

Did they know he was here?

Lucas breaks eye contact with me and looks over to the herd of boys, "I see you've done a bad job of teaching our baby sister how to keep her mouth clean, fratello's..." He wanders his eyes over each of them, "The one job I gave you; make sure Vi doesn't turn out as bad as us... Not that hard, yet you still couldn't achieve that?"

My jaw dangled open at Lucas' blunt comment.

I scoff in shock, "What the fuck are you doing here," I muttered, my eyes still wide and perplexed.

I rip my wrists from Lucas' and stare him dead in the eye, my heart beating so loud I can feel it in my head.

Lucas raised his eyebrows up at me, a nonchalant smile threatening to pull at the corners of his lips.