CH. 39 What Happens In the Cafeteria, Probably Won't Stay In the Cafeteria

"So, who was it that was trying to get your attention so badly?" West asked to me as Flynn and I came back from the bathroom.

I walked to my seat, pulling out my chair and sitting back down, "Just Cameron. She had some new gossip to spill," I dismissed, waving my hands around.

Flynn glanced over to me, but allowed this lie to pass— knowing I sure as hell wasn't about to throw out Scotty's name at the dinner table.

"She's a chatter box, isn't she," West laughed as he stabbed his fork into another piece of chicken.

"Haha, yea," I said as I stared at the scraps of food left on my plate.

———————

The next morning as I got up for school, I gave myself an extra long pep talk.

"Today will be a good day," I told myself repeatedly.

All I wanted was one good day. No Scotty, no boys, no nothing. I just wanted to go to school and learn for once.

I buttoned up my uniform, throwing my cardigan on over it and heading down to the kitchen.

I hopped down the steps, going through the hallways and rounding the corner into the kitchen where only Kade stood- sipping on a glass of apple juice.

"Morning," he greeted with a head nod.

I nodded back, going to sit down on one of our bar stools.

As Kade brought the glass to his mouth, his eyes glanced at me curiously.

I gave him a weird look, "What?" I asked.

He put the glass down, wiping his mouth with the sleeve of his school blazer, "You gonna eat breakfast today?" He asked suspiciously.

I darted my eyes away from him, tucking my lips in.

Well, I wasn't planning on it.

Kade laughed lightly, "Yea, that's right. I'm gonna be Mr. Observant now," He said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes, looking back at Kade with a small smile.

It was nice that he cared.

He grinned at me, "I'll make you something," He said before walking over to our fridge and pulling out some yogurt and fruit.

I smiled lightly at him as he took his time to precisely scoop the yogurt into a bowl and decorate it with some strawberries.

Just then, Flynn and West galloped into the kitchen.

"I'm so hungry," Flynn groaned as he raced over to our pantry and grabbed a box of cereal.

As West looked around for something to eat as well, his eyes landed on Kade's yogurt bowl.

"Ooo," West said as his eyes lit up.

He walked over to Kade, quickly dipping a finger into the bowl.

Kade instantly slapped West's hand away, scowling at him, "Not for you, ass hat," he joked, picking up the bowl and bringing it over to where I was sitting.