19

Quietly, I slipped out of bed, fully clothed with a black pair of trousers and a dark sweater. I slipped on my chucks and glanced at Juma and Alyssa. They had their eyes closed and looked like they were sleeping safe and soundly.

I sighed inwardly and took my backpack packed with all my new belongings and headed for the door. Just before I closed it, I blew my two best friends a kiss and whispered, "Thank you for everything guys. I'll never forget you."

Closing the door behind me I tiptoed my way down the stairs slowly, not wanting to wake anyone up.

Everywhere the lights were out, and just like a few nights ago when I had had this- encounter- with Will, people were snoring faintly.

I just hope Jemma will be okay...

I had sort of told her she wouldn't be seeing me for a while because I had to sort something out. Of course I would never tell her what. She didn't have to deal with this, she was only four.

Wiping a tear that had escaped down my cheak, I turned the last corner and was just about to open the main door when I heard someone behind me hiss,"And where do you think you're going?"

I jumped and turned to face my two room mates and closest friends I had ever had, glaring at me.

"Uh..." I had no idea what I could say to make this better.

"I just don't understand you!! Is it the orphanage? Don't you like it here? Is it us??" Alyssa sobbed angrily folding her arms infront of her chest.

I stared at her in shock, but before I could explain Juma added, "We thought you didn't mind it here! I thought you were our friend-"

I couldn't stand it anymore and I half whispered half shouted, "SHUT UP, you two! You have no idea how much I love you guys! The orphanage isn't half as bad as it sounded and I was happy here!"

They stared at me blankly, not uttering a word.

Finally, Juma broke the silence and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Then why are you running away?"

"I have to go. It's about my parents. They were... they- they didn't die in a car accident. The brakes were sabotaged - they were murdered."

Juma and Alyssa rushed up to me, Alyssa taking my hand and Juma hugging me tightly. "Sweetie, that's aweful!"

"It is, but I still don't get why you're going. The police should be taking care of things-"

"I'm sorry Juma. But they aren't fast enough and they don't know the things I do. I have to find my parents murderer."

They looked at me silently in sadness. After a while Alyssa murmered, "Oh fuck it. We'll help you!"

My eyes widened in shock, "No! You can't come, it'll be dangerous and-"

"Oh shut it will you, Firestone? We're going to help you get out and have a chance out there. Just wait here, I'll get you some things" she rushed up the stairs and vanished, just to come down with a shoe box a few minutes later. I huffed because I was getting much too warm in my sweater.

Alyssa pulled out a phone and some cash, shoving it into my hand. I was about to protest when she interrupted with a death glare, "Don't you dare insult me by not accepting this, Liv. You're one of my best friends, and I want you to have this!"

I nodded, stunned. She hugged me one more time and when she released me I saw tears in her eyes.

"I have the other phone so you can contact me whenever you want, okay? The cash is my pocket money I have been sparing for a moment like this."

I just nodded quietly bighting my lip. Don't cry.

"Do you know where you're going to stay?" Juma asked sniffing.

"With this cash I could stay a few nights in a motel... I have a few friends I could go to aswell," I lied. They didn't need to know that I would be having some hard nights.

"Okay," they said.

"Okay."

"GOD, we sound like we're from the movie cast 'the fault in our stars' right now!" Alyssa never failed to lighten the mood. I smiled at her and waved. Goodbyes had never been one of my strengths.

"You cover up for me girls," I called over my sholder quietly.

"Always, Firestone."

With a last sad smile in their direction I turned and ran down the steps, and down the hill, heading to the bus station.

Once this is all over, I'll come back. No matter what.