A broken heart for a torn one

Harrison could see the beloved mark on his ring finger that he waited so long to obtain starting to fade away. It was a month ago that he noticed and he desperately tried to ignore it, at first telling himself that his vision wasn't so good, that he had got a tan and it just looked less evident on his skin because of the sun exposure. But truth was, the small birthmark looking blotch at the base of his finger was fading away, in the first few days of the current month he saw it get more and more dull as days passed, along with the mark his girlfriend's eyes had turned equally dull towards him, if not more. They didn't shine bright when she looked at him, when she dared to look at him. Cold few kisses, one-word answers, meaningless touches, obligatory and forced conversations.

Sleepless nights watching her lay beside him, being careful in her slumber to not touch him. He was losing her as well as the mark. He was losing his soulmate. His mother had told him before to fight for her, and he did, everyday he fought for her, for the memory of them being happy together for only a couple of years. But no one was fighting for him, not her, and god did he wanted her to do so. She could smile at him again the way she used to, with her eyes pushed closed by her cheeks, her perfectly straight teeth showing and she'll have his heart once more. But she didn't.

"How was work, love?" He asked as soon as the girl walked through the threshold of their shared flat. He was cooking them both dinner, he knew she used to like it when he tried to do it, even though she wouldn't finish her plate because it was definitely really bad, but she would have this huge smile on her face every time she'll catch him fumbling with the pans.

"Fine." She said dryly, dropping her handbag on the floor and shedding her coat, her tired feet toeing her ankle boots off. The sizzling of the pan and the smell that filled the tiny space doing nothing of what he expected would happen.

"Dinner?" He asked in a hopeful voice, the wooden spoon he held in his right hand stained with the stir fry sauce.

"No, thanks." She sighed, dragging her feet to the bathroom. Harrison's heart tightened and his eyes glossed over, he stood still looking blankly ahead the smell of burned food made him turn back to the stove and kill the heat with a frustrated sigh escaping his chapped lips, his hands coming flat on the surface of the counter top as he bowed his head breathing deeply a few times to calm down, his watery eyes landing on his ring finger. He cleared his throat to get rid of the horrible lump that was obstructing his vocal chords, straightening up and rubbing his nose with the back of his hand before grabbing the frying pan and putting it in the sink. The boy felt as if he was just existing, not really present, his legs dragged him to the fridge and his hand reached inside it for a beer, absently opening it and taking a swing.

That wasn't his first attempt to work things out, the inevitability of what was to come was making him so anxious that he was often out of the flat, he didn't do much inside anyway, fresh air did him good, as fresh as London air can be. The cold wind hit his cheeks, the tiny droplets of rain nipping at his exposed skin, in his typical way he forgot to check the weather forecast before leaving the flat so now his knitted top did nothing to keep him warm or safe from the rain. Along with the rain hitting him like needles, the wind also brought the unmistakable smell of flowers, a tiny flower shop a few feet away.

He's eyes lifted from the pavement to look ahead and he felt his heart stop in that moment, a set of locks he knew too well accompanied by a beautiful giggle he could barely remember now, a pair of arms wrapped around her while hers carried a gorgeous bouquet of flowers. The blonde didn't notice he was rushing towards them, he didn't notice the harsh shove he gave the guy that had her in his arms, but he noticed the hateful look she gave him, he noticed the way she shielded the guy from him.

"Harrison, what the fuck?!" The angry girl exclaimed.

"The fuck you mean?! What are you doing? Why?" The heart broken boy rushed out, his breath elaborated.