Too Bad(The Long Road)

>> plot: Raven is cleaning the attic for her parents, when she stumbles across a piece of paper.

Raven's POV

Hi, I'm Raven Atwood. I'm 11 years old and live in Detroit, Michigan.

My parents are Kyle and Lillian Atwood. I also have three older brothers, Dane, Luke, and Kyle, and an older sister, Emily.

Dane is the oldest, he's 17. His birthday is May 12.

Luke is the second oldest at 16. His birthday is August 12.

Kyle is the third oldest at 15. His birthday is January 12.

Emily is the fourth oldest at 14. Her birthday is July 12.

Then there is me, little Raven. I'm 11. My birthday is September 12.

My parents were extremely weirded out by the fact that all of their kids have birthdays on the twelfth of each month.

I have always felt like the black sheep in my family because, well, all of my family loves to go out and play sports. All of my older brothers play football, and my older sister does cross country and basketball. I prefer to sing, play guitar, or even go to heavy metal concerts.

I prefer to travel places, while my family always objects and we typically remain at home during the summer, not that I mind though.

One day, to help my mother out, I went up into the attic to go through the stuff and clean it out.

While going through a box, I find a piece of paper inside a manila folder that's been worn with some extreme aging.

Opening it, I find my name at the top, but with a different last name, Kroeger.

"My last name is Atwood. Why does this say Kroeger?" I ask myself as I pull it out to see my birth certificate.

Raven Halle Kroeger

September 12, 2008

4:35 am

Vancouver Memorial Hospital

Father: Chad Robert Kroeger

Mother: Lillian Michelle Atwood

Gasping at the picture of me that's included in the folder, I feel hot tears of betrayal streaming down my face.

"They lied to me." I say as I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up to see my older brother, Kyle.

"I'm sorry you had to find out like that little sis. I figured they'd done told you about your father." Kyle says and I launch myself into his arms, sobbing my eyes out into his football jersey.

"Kyle, Raven, mom says it's time for dinner!" We hear Dane yell from the bottom of the attic stairs and I look up at my brother with tear filled eyes, and he smiles down softly at me.

"Lets go eat, little sis." He says as we walk downstairs to the kitchen.

After dinner....

After dinner, I go back to my room, and get on my laptop, typing in my father's name, Chad Kroeger, into Google.

Like 30 seconds after I do so, I see my favorite band pop up on the screen. Nickelback.

"He's part of the band?"?  I mumble as I click on their website.

After about an hour of looking up my biological father, I hear a throat clear from my doorway and turn to see both my mother and father standing there.

"What?" I ask rudely and my mother sighs as my father looks away.

"We never intended for you to find out that Chad was your father that way, Raven." Dad, wait, Kyle, says.

"Yeah right. I wanna meet him." I say and mom looks down, but they both nod.

"Ok, Raven. There's a concert in two days." She says and I nod and they leave my room.