e i g h t e e n

based off 4.13
true colors

~*~

     Rae decided that after everything with Prank and Trickster, she would take a bit of time off. She went to her old friends (a criminal in jail) lake house for a week to let off some steam. And by letting off steam, she basically just trained the entire time she was there. She liked the alone time, but now she was back at S.T.A.R. Labs. Well, not quite. Ralph had called her to his office for some reason so she was heading there now. 

     As Rae walked up the stairs to his office, she checked her watch to see that the time read nearly eight in the morning. She hated getting up this early, but she was just happy to get some coffee. She walked towards Ralph's office, slowing her pace as she heard a Scottish man talking. 

     "Clear your calendar, slim, 'cause I've got a score that'll knock your honey glazed holiday ham into next Christmas," the man told Ralph. 

     "Yeah, I don't think any of those words mean what you think they do," Ralph responded. 

     "How bout these words for you? A rich, old heiress hires me to find her other boyfriend, the pool boy, as a gold digger. Turns out, he is. But pool boy is willing to share said gold with someone who can help him keep up appearances, so to speak, and that my friend is your specialty. Are you in?" the Scottish man asked. 

     "I don't do that kind of stuff anymore," Ralph said quietly. "Ralph Dibny's gone straight." Rae had enough of hearing this, opening the door. 

     "Straight? Ralph, I swear you just keep changing every week," Rae said beginning to shut the door behind her. Her eyes landed on Earl, her face twisting to disgust. "What is this? Beer belly friend number five?" 

     "Earl Cox. Pleased to meet you, beautiful," he said extending a hand. 

     "Yeah, I don't touch people who look like they have every STD in the world," Rae said glaring at him. 

     "Could you just give us a minute, Saturn?" Ralph said with a small smile. She rose an eyebrow at him, Ralph nodding in response. 

     "Fine," she sighed. She turned to the chair in the corner, sitting back. The two men looked at her, then back at each other. 

     "Are you serious?" Earl asked, picking up right where they left off.

     "I got friends now. They're good people," Ralph said with a smile. 

     "Thanks," Rae said raising a hand. 

     "They helped me, uh... turn over a new leaf," Ralph said with a small nod. 

     "Are they, now?" Earl asked. He stood up slowly, Rae watching as he seemed disappointed in Ralph. "We'll see." Ralph rolled his eyes, sitting up as Earl was walking out. 

     "Meaning?" he asked. 

     "Meaning, I love you Ralphie, I really do. But you let people down, especially the good ones," Earl said walking back over to him slowly. A glare fell on Rae's face as she looked at Earl. "They get close to you, place their trust in you, and then, bam, you screw up, every single time. So, when you let your new friends down, give your old one a call." Earl winked at Ralph, turning and walking out slowly. Once the door clicked shut, Rae sipped her coffee rather loudly to get Ralph's attention. 

     "I know you're there, Saturn," Ralph sighed out. 

     "Cool. I'll be right back. I'm just going to go punch him in the face real quick," Rae said getting up from the chair. Ralph stood from his own, walking around his desk to the door to shut it as Rae opened it. She turned to glare at him, but he was sadly towering over her this time. She sighed, crossing her arms. "Just let me go show him how much of an idiot he is."