f o u r t e e n

based off 4.11
t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶l̶o̶n̶g̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶s̶e̶s̶
NOW NAMED (for story purposes)
the rise of the shadow

~*~

     Rae began to walk out of S.T.A.R. Labs for the day, pulling her bag over her shoulder to leave. As she was waiting for the elevator doors to close, she saw a hand stick through the slits at the last second. Ralph jumped in when the doors opened, a wide smile on his face. The doors closed again, Ralph stepping back next to Rae.

     "So, Saturn, wanna go get a drink? Celebrate our victory?" Ralph asked looking at her.

     "I usually drink alone... in my apartment while watching Golden Girls Hulu," Rae said, not looking at Ralph.

     "Did you say Golden Girls?" Ralph asked turning to her.

     "Yes. Say anything to anyone and I'll-"

     "You'll what? You're a softie, Saturn. You can't hide from me," Ralph said proudly.

     "Do you want to relive the mistletoe experience?" Rae asked in a fake sweet voice.

     "Not really. But if it means you touching my crotch again, maybe," Ralph shrugged.

     "So help me-"

     "Okay! I take it back!" Ralph said as Rae turned to him. She nodded in agreement, the elevator doors opening for them. "But just one drink. Come on, it won't even be that long." Rae sighed, shutting her eyes. She opened them again, hating that Ralph could be so persuasive.

     "Fine," Rae snapped. "But only one. And no flirting."

    "Deal," Ralph agreed. "I'll text you the bar. See you there, Rae." Before she could react to him calling her by her first name, Ralph was already in his car with the doors locked. Rae sighed, turning to her car and getting in. She pulled her phone out to see Ralph had already sent her the address. She laughed slightly at all the emojis he sent her, glad that no one was around to witness the thing that brought her joy.

     Rae drove to the bar in silence, thinking about any possible thing that Ralph could do to trick her into making this a date. She made him swear off flirting, but that means only personal stuff would be left to talk about. Rae hated talking about her personal life, it was always the one thing she hated about her life.

     Growing up without a family was bad enough, the fact that people might want to ask her about it sounded worse. It only resurfaced terrible memories that she'd stashed deep away into her mind. She was already a closed off person, and now she was wondering if she'd have to become even more closed off just for one beer.

    Rae shut her car door as she was now parked outside of the bar. She walked in to see that Ralph was already sitting at the bar with a small drink in front of him. She sighed, instantly regretting even agreeing to go to the bar. But something changed when she saw how nervous Ralph was.

     He was checking the time every few seconds, and kept looking into the mirror across from him to check his hair. In the few short seconds she stood at the door, Ralph had probably straightened his coat out about ten times. Rae knew then that the silly flirting wasn't just silly flirting. It was small attempts that was building up to this.

     So, just as nervous as he was now, but barely showing it, she walked to the bar and sat the stool next to him. She set her bag down in front of her, Ralph looking over at the sudden movement. Rae held up a one to the bartender, then turned to Ralph who flashed her a smile.