t w e n t y

based off 4.14
subject 9

~*~

     After learning that DeVoe needed Ralph and Rae for their powers, and their bodies, the two had barely been the same since. Ralph rarely ever left S.T.A.R. Labs, and when he did it was with a buddy. Rae had denied the buddy system, claiming it made her feel worse. But she was the opposite of Ralph. She was rarely at S.T.A.R. Labs. 

     Rae wanted to distance herself from all things that had to do with DeVoe and Team Flash. She knew that she had a chance to leave, but she couldn't bring herself to actually get out of Central City. She knew DeVoe would find her no matter where she went. 

     Currently, though, she was arriving at S.T.A.R. Labs. She had decided it'd been long enough away and hiding. Now she was back there again to reassure everyone that she wasn't, you know, dead. 

     "Question for the room, how did I get stuck doing the buddy system with Ralph?" Cisco asked as Rae walked into the room. 

     "It's the best way to keep Ralph safe, Cisco," Iris said trying to not let Ralph hear. 

     "Yeah, it's the best way to keep Ralph safe, Cisco," Ralph repeated. 

     "Why does Saturn not get a buddy?" Cisco asked motioning to her. 

     "Because none of you know where I live and it's going to stay that way," she said pulling up a chair and sitting down. 

     "Joe and I investigated you one time," Barry said confused. 

     "I moved a week later," Rae said as she kicked her feet up onto the monitor. 

     "Well, clearly you've never had to stay over at an apartment that uses neon beer signs for lamps and the kitchen sink for a shower," Cisco said leaning against the monitor. "Ralph, I love you. But you sleep on a futon." 

     "Futon's not that bad," Caitlin defended him. 

     "It is when it's damp," Cisco spoke, his voice cracking. 

     "Why is it damp?" Iris asked looking up at Ralph. 

     "I sweat a lot when I sleep," Ralph said, ashamed of himself. 

     "Ya nasty," Iris responded. Ralph went back to the box in front of him, pulling out an invisalign. 

     "Hey, my retainer. Been looking for this," Ralph said holding it up. 

     "Retainer," Cisco laughed as Ralph popped it into his mouth. 

     "Okay, you made your point," Barry whispered to Cisco. "Not that the point needed to be made. I'll take the next shift."

     "You're a good man, Barry Allen," Cisco told him. 

     "Really? Who uses CD's anymore?" Ralph asked holding one up. 

     "A musician trying to catch their break," Iris said snatching the CD from Ralph. "Izzy Bowen." Iris popped the CD into the monitor, country rock music beginning to play over the speakers. Ralph rolled his eyes in annoyance, pressing pause. 

     "Ugh, country. Music's tone deaf stepchild," Ralph groaned. 

     "Alright, remember anyone on the bus with a fiddle?" Caitlin asked him. 

     "There was a guy," Ralph started as he messed with his retainer in his mouth, "with a cowboy hat on sitting behind me. Maybe it was him."