Chapter 23: The scar that remained

"Meilin?" Ji Ruo's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"A-Ah. Don't worry, grandma." Xia Meilin quickly said. "I'm in the hospital right now."

"What?! In the hospital?!" How could she tell her not to worry when she was in the hospital?

"Mm. Lu Yifeng and I got into an accident... but Lu Yifeng protected me so I didn't get hurt anywhere." Though it was actually the other way around but she continued, "Although his condition is... still not good since he was the one who got hurt while protecting me."

Ji Ruo sighed in relief when she heard that Xia Meilin was fine. She didn't care what happened to Lu Yifeng since she still was wary of him but she was actually glad that he was keeping the promise he made to them. It was alright if he was the one who got hurt as long as her precious granddaughter was safe.

"That's why I will be coming late tonight. Once I make sure that Lu Yifeng's condition is stable, I will go home. Please tell Xiao Gua that he doesn't have to wait."

"Okay, I will try to come up with something," said Ji Ruo.

Meanwhile, in Ji Ruo's side, a small creak from the door was heard. And a small head popped out from there. "Grandma, is that momma and dada?"

Little Melon's voice was heard.

"Oh dear, why aren't you asleep yet?" Ji Ruo went towards him.

"Grandma, can you give the phone to Xiao Gua?" Xia Meilin asked after hearing her grandmother's words.

"Here sweetheart, your mother wants to talk with you." Ji Ruo said as she handed the phone to the little boy.

Little Melon's eyes sparkled upon holding the phone., "Hello momma? When are you and dada coming home?"

Xia Meilin's heart softened up when she heard his voice up close. As much as she didn't want to disappoint her son, she didn't have a choice but to give him an excuse. "I'm sorry, baby. Mommy and daddy will be coming home late. Your daddy's friends need help."

If Little Melon has some animal ears on him, those ears would go down upon hearing his mother's words. "Mello can still wait..."

"But it's not going to be good for you. Don't you want to be as strong and big like daddy? If you won't sleep early, you will remain small forever."

"Huhu... Mello wants to become big like dada..."

She continued coaxing Little Melon, "See? Don't worry, once you wake up, you will see me by your side."

"Promise?"

"Mm, I promise. So you have to follow grandma, okay?"

"Yes, momma." Little Melon was still sulking, he wanted to sleep together with his parents.

Of course, Xia Meilin could hear the disappointment in his voice and this made her heart ache. "Goodnight, Xiao Gua. Mommy and Daddy love you."

"Mello loves Dada and Momma too..."

After that, the call ended.

Xia Meilin stared at her phone for a while, her wallpaper was Little Melon as a baby. Every time she looked at her wallpaper, she couldn't help but feel a tingling warmth growing in her chest. Little Melon was the only thing that connected her to Lu Yifeng. If it wasn't for her son, she wouldn't have given Lu Yifeng a second thought.

She sighed and kept her phone before she went out of the restroom.

After learning that Lu Yifeng's surgery went well, she went to the room where he was transferred. Zhao Long Ji and his companion were standing at the side of the door, guarding the room.

They saw Xia Meilin approaching them that's why they opened the door for her and allowed her to enter the room.

When she entered the room, she saw Lu Yifeng lying on the bed, unconscious. He was alone in the room at that moment since Su Lei went to handle the two men that were captured.

Xia Meilin sat on the chair beside his bed and stared at his sleeping face. His lashes were long and lips were thin. He looked so different while he was unconscious, he looked so heavenly.

She suddenly remembered what he said earlier... He was apologizing to her. Did he really mean that?

She wanted to ask him if he really was regretting on what happened that night. Was she willing to give him a chance? She doesn't know, she was scared of knowing the answer. At that moment, Xia Meilin still couldn't bring herself to accept him just like that.

"So what if you got these injuries from my grandma? You deserve it, you know. Do you think that I will pity you? No. This hate I have for you will always be here. You may be Xiao Gua's father but I will never accept you as my husband." She tried to harden her heart. She would not be deceived by him. The wound he inflicted on her may heal but the scar would always remain, she would never forget the nightmare he gave her.

Just because she saw those wounds of his doesn't mean that she needed to soften up on him. No, she would never do that. He was a man that she could never trust no matter what.

But her heart betrayed her, tears started rolling down her cheeks after saying those words. Why was she crying? She wasn't supposed to feel anything for the man in front of her. She was frustrated because of the tears and pain that she was feeling. She didn't want to admit that Lu Yifeng was not what she imagined him to be.

She quickly wiped her face before she turned and hurriedly left the' room.