thirty three

CHAPTER THIRTY THREETHEIR RETURN

THEIR RETURN

[ AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR ]

The avengers facility seemed quite, half of its members have been missing since the divide between the two groups while the others had their own family's, their own loved ones to go and see during their time off, Rhodey on the other hand, stayed

The man was found running on a treadmill to stretch out his legs and the new mechanical stilts that Tony had made for him to be able to walk fine, though his style of running without his War Machine suit was a little like a wonky jog. As he was jogging and moved his hand to turn up the speed to test the legs and push them even further, an alarm blared through the compound causing his hand to slip and the speed to increase tenfold and he ultimately fell of the treadmill skidding to the wall behind him.

"Security breach, intruder alert." Fridays voice sounded over the sound system.

"Ugh, give me a minute." He groaned and slowly moved his legs and reached for the arm of the treadmill to help himself up. In times like this he thought that it'd be easier just go live in his war machine armor all the time. "Friday, where is the security breach?"

"First floor, training arena. There are two unknown life forms residing in that area." The robotic voice answered and Rhodey called for his war machine armor hoping he wouldn't end up needing to use it.

When he reached the first floor and took in the sight of the two unconscious intruders, he quickly ran for them and called for tony over the com's. "Tony we have a situation at headquarters."

"Well we have a problem on this end too, can it wait?" Tony replied.

"You look at what I am then tell me if it can wait." He states and his visual field is shared with Tony's.

"Is that Antares?" Tony asks, "Well I guess that makes since as Bruce is back and all. she did leave to look for him." Tony states in thought, a grunt leaving his lips and a small,

"Did you say Antares?" Coming from somewhere in the distance.

"Yeah, Antares is back on earth too."

"Tony, are you not seeing this? Yes Antares is back but so is someone else." Rhodey growled, he had no idea what to think of the man laying in the girls embrace, his body sprawled to the side of hers.

"I thought I was imagining that part, hold up," There was a pause then Tony loudly yelling, "Bruce, know anything about Loki's business with Antares?"

"They're dating! I don't know how it happened but they were stuck with each other on a planet with no escape and ended up falling for each other, is he here too?" He asked with a pause of realisation, "Does that mean Thor is also here?"

"You're kidding? Rhodes, is Antares okay? Check her vitals." Tony ordered before letting out a grunt and the transmission going dead.

Rhodey checked both of their vitals finding a faint pulse on the both of them before he quickly moved them separately towards the hospital wing. The fact that he'd had to check up on Loki too not resting well within him. And the fact that Antares was able to fall in love with the man who caused the destruction of New York back in 2012 was unfathomable. He only wondered what on earth would have happened on that planet for the two to have fallen in love with each other, that was if Loki was even capable of falling in love.

Rhodey quickly ditched the war machine suit before he hooked the two up to the monitors and the faint sound of the heart monitor filled the silent room and the man sighed. Standing above her now he could see all the dust and grim covering her clothes and body, she was an absolute mess, blood was splattered across her body too but he couldn't tell if it was hers or not as she showed no sign of injury.

Loki shared the same look as her, though his clothes seemed a little less worn than hers did and he seemed to be a lighter shade then his normal pale completion, he could see blue hues traveling up his body as his pale skin took a chalky blue colour towards it. A dark purple on his neck pulled Rhodey closer as he pulled the collar of his shirt down to see a large purple ring around his neck as if he had been strangled.

"What on earth happened to you?" He asked himself as he looked back to Antares who layed on the table, unmoving. In that moment of silence, Rhodey has declared that he needed a drink so he quickly ditched the two on the table and walked back to the kitchen, grabbing a glass of whiskey then turning on the TV that hung on the wall.

The news channel was the first thing to pop up, there were thousands of camera angles pointed towards a spaceship then quick shots of tony and the kids, along with two unknown individuals fighting a large alian. At this, Rhodey chocked on his drink and moved further off his seat. The news was short, the citizens having been evacuated as quickly as possible and too the reporters dismay, their place was not safe and were asked to be moved as well, the news eventually cutting off there with little information left to be said.

"Welcome, Bruce Banner." Friday's voice came over the PA causing Rhodey to get up from his seat and meet the lost Avenger down on the bottom floor, he could see him from the railing as he walked down, the man looking around in confusion as he had never been to the new headquarters before since it was made after he had disappeared.

"Bruce! It's good to see you again." Rhodey said politely as he came down the stairs, Bruce slowly taking in his legs and the mechanical contraption wrapped around them, helping him walk.

"Rhodey, what happened here? Are you okay?" The man spoke as he rested his hands on Rhodey's shoulders, finally taking in everything.

"A lot has happened since you guys left, especially since Antares had left. Her sudden disappearance was hard on all of us, especially after finding her apartment full with crumbled goodbye drafts. We don't know how long she was gone, but once we realised, Steve went to check on her and found bills pilled sky high at her door, it almost made it impossible for him to get in her apartment... almost."

"About Steve..." Bruce said, eyes furrowing as he stumbled over what to say in his head without upsetting the man in front of him. Rhodey only patted his back, sorry for half his friends being missing as well.

"Yeah, I'm sure Tony would've said something by now, he's a wanted fugitive."

"Yeah, about that..." He held up Tony's phone that the screen was still displayed on Steve's number. "I called."