thirty four

CHAPTER THIRTY FOURTO BE HUMAN

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
TO BE HUMAN

[ AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR ]

Light seemed to reflect across Loki's vision, he couldn't make out where he was, as he felt as though he was submerged underwater, the mortal feeling of being drowned caused panic to raise

Light seemed to reflect across Loki's vision, he couldn't make out where he was, as he felt as though he was submerged underwater, the mortal feeling of being drowned caused panic to raise. He tried to breath in but no air came into his lungs, not even any water seeped into his open mouth. He was in unknown terrain with the lack of oxygen, searching around himself he only find light.

He was alone.

The panic only finnaly sunk in as the male realised that he was not spared by Thanos, that the man before him had cut off the oxygen to his lungs and now he was cursed to never breath in the afterlife he called valhalla. His body was restrained by unknown forces as his auditory senses was filled with the sound of still air, whirring machinery and the dull bleep of a monitor. This is not what Valhalla was suposed to be like, no, this was the sound of the mortal world.

Slowly, Loki regained control of his body. His mind righting itself after death and taking in his environment. He was, in fact, on Midgard. His lungs filled with dirty polluted air and his body ached as though he'd been thrown around by the Hulk again.

The cream coloured walls that surrounded him felt like a prison, the white marble floors being anything but asgardian royalty approved and the two men who stood to his side caused dread to fill his utter being. One, he didn't know, however the other he was quite familiar with.

"Bruce?" He asked through a heavy breath, as he sat up in his bed, legs hanging off the edge, feet hitting the ground, with his chest rising and falling at a quick pace as he tried to fill his lungs, his neck hurting from what had happened to him. He let out a groan and his hands flew straight towards the tender area, then it fully hit him.

He had died, but he was alive.

And not just your mortal type death. It was a proper death death. Death by the hands of the only man whom struck true terror into his every being in sense. The man he despised more then his own father and every other person whom had looked down on him, Thanos.

There was no doubting that Thanos had strangled the life straight from his body but yet he seemed to be on earth, Bruce before him. The tender skin around his neck a reminder of his stupidity. How he had tried to save the one he loved by ridding himself from Thanos and his toxic behaviour, the Titan being nothing but a burden on Loki's life. He was the one to have caused the attack on New York, Loki only being but a measly pawn in the titans bigger plan on destroying the universe.

"You alright?" He heard someone ask voice void of pity or care, the god's eyes flicking towards the dark skinned male as he looked to him a with wary, unamused gaze. He was not sure on whether Loki should be trusted or not, he he didn't blame him.

"Where are we?" He asked, his question directed towards Bruce as he felt less scrutinised under his gaze. There was also a degree of trust he had in Bruce knowing of Antares' care and affection towards the other mortal. However, here on earth he was still known as a villain, the man who brought alian creatures to earth and destroyed New York City.

"You're in the Avengers headquarters, you're safe from the public here, although I'm afraid we won't be safe from Thanos much longer." Bruce spoke in a sympathising tone.

If anyone could see the look on Loki's face at the moment in this state of volunerability, it would be enough for anyone to think him human. A thought flashed across his mind, though it was less of a thought and more of a memory. The memory of being held in a woman's arms as she cried into his neck, begging him not to leave her.

"Antares, where is she?!" He asked, Bruce and the other man shared a knowing look.

"She's still unconscious, to be honest I'm surprised you're awake." The dark skinned man said, Loki's powers were too weak at the moment to dig for a name so he left it.

"She's very weak, did heimdall send you back as well? Where's Thor?" Bruce asked.

Loki's eyes furrowed as he tried to concentrate, where was Thor? Didn't heimdell die before they were able to escape or was his memorise deceiving him after his death.

"This was not his doing... Heimdall's dead." Loki spoke before letting out a whisper that Bruce heard loud and clear, "So should I"

"Well you're not and you're both here." Bruce sighed, trying to understand what the god had meant by dying. He had known that Thor's father passed away and if they really could bring themselves back to life, then wouldn't he had? "Wait, her powers. The Phoenix force, can she have the ability to teleport?"

"Well... in the stories yes, but who knows how accurate they really are. The Phoenix force was supposed to be a myth, it shouldn't exist." Loki tried to explain.

"Loki," Bruce took a step forward, from the unintentional distance he and Rhodey and created when he awoke from his unstable condition, and rested a hand on his shoulder, "Are you okay? What actually happened after I left?"

"Thanos killed everyone... there was only Thor, Antares and I left. I tried to help, to use my history with the man to create some form of alience before I killed him... he saw straight through me and my act. I should be dead."

"Then what happened?" Bruce pressed on.

"I can't remember, all I remember is being held and hearing Antares voice. I don't know where Thor is and I don't know how I got here." Loki said, "Now if you don't mind, I would like to leave. I have a vengeance to repay."

Bruce and Rodney looked behind Loki to the other bed that had Antares resting unconscious on it, her vitals never changing which was niether good nor bad. Bruce didn't want Loki to leave, not without saying goodbye to Antares, not like the last time. Loki's eyes followed to take in the woman and he was quick to his feet moving over to her, seeing the blood and grime smeared across her body. He didn't want to remain on Misguard, but he wouldn't leave Antares, not again.

"Last time she over exceeded her powers, she was out for a couple of days. You were out for almost a day, perhaps give her some time. She'll be fine." Bruce said.

"In the meantime you need a shower and I need to have a word or two with you." Rhodey spoke up causing Loki to glare at him.

"I beg your pardon, who are you to speak to me like that?" Although the god had fallen for a cursed mortal girl, he would never change his ways and will never take being spoken down to lightly.

"I'm James Rhodes and at the moment I'm the best bet you all have in a place like this. Just wait till Steve and Natasha comes back, you're all but dead after that." He joked before leaving the room muttering that he doesn't get payed enough for this. Now he'd have to inform the government that they have a man who's supposed to be locked up in an asgardian prison on earth.