ix

yang jeongin had only seen jungkook look shaken and rattled on one occasion and that was when they were trekking the forest, away from the burning castle.

but now, there was that look again that almost looked foreign on the older's face, it was like a black smudge on a painting- it simply didn't belong there.

he noticed that the grip on jungkook's sword became more tighter and he heard a growl from the knight,

"are you sure? h-how many are there?" jungkook asked, trying to sound calm and collected as possible like he was trying to make the situation seem like it wasn't a big deal but they all knew it was a facade.

no one dared mention it though.

"yes, i heard them in the forest," minho replied as he pointed to his ears, "i'm not sure how many but there's something different about this one," minho took a deep breath, "i think he's here."

jungkook's eyes widened as he felt himself stumbling backwards, "what the fuck."

"y-you mean?" hyunjin asked, not daring to finish it, he turned to jeongin who nodded, the fear on his face mimicking everyone else's in the room, "daddy is here to pick me up."

jungkook shook his head, snapping himself out of his trance, "alright, come with me and take your bags, now."

they followed his command as they walked towards jungkook's basement, "k-koo? why are we in the basement?"

jungkook took a deep breath, "this tunnel will lead you to yellow wood, think of it as a shortcut to emerald city. i use this path to go visit jiminie hyung whenever. now, get going."

jeongin's eyes widened, "b-but what about you?"

jungkook didn't meet his eyes, he looked away as he took a deep breath, "i'm not going."

chan and jeongin gasped, "w-what? why? h-hyung no one gets left behind remember? we're ohala."

"it's ohana, innie. and yes i did say that but someone has to divert their attention, i'm going to cause a distraction. y-you guys go and-"

"no." jeongin snapped as he faced his hyung, "i am not leaving without you."

"jeongin-" jungkook tried to reason but jeongin cut him off with a, "hyung."

jungkook stilled, "i can't let you do this alone. t-this is too risky! what if you get hurt?"

jungkook gave him a pained smile as he caressed his cheek, "love, i have a promise to keep remember? i swore to your mom that i will do whatever it takes to keep you safe. if i have to lay down my life, then so be it."

jungkook kissed jeongin's cheek before he turned to chan. the aussie was silently crying, tears falling onto his cheeks like the dewfall,

"son." jungkook said as he placed his hands on chan's shoulders, "take care of him okay? swear to me that you will do whatever it takes to keep the prince safe."

chan choked on a sob as jungkook addressed him as his own, he had always been under jungkook's wing eversince his family got slaughtered in the war, he remembered jungkook pulling him off of his father's chest as he cried there.

he remembered that jungkook fended off anybody who was in their way that day, when queen jasmine gave him the crystal sword.

"i- i will dad." chan said as he engulfed jungkook into a hug.

they stood there before they pulled away as they heard the loud footsteps and sounds of the men as they drawed closer.

jungkook wiped his tears as he opened the tunnel, "hurry, leave while you can. i can take it from here."