xxiv

flashback :

prince yang jeongin, aged six, stared out from his balcony as he admired the view from the castle top. he stared out at the sea of rooftops and trees as he watched the people go ahead with their lives.

he saw two kids running around the castle grounds as a nanny frantically followed them.

jeongin giggled then he saw chan walking around with his dad, they were talking about something that jeongin couldn't comprehend.

"innie, baby." jeongin smiled when he turned around and saw his mom, queen jasmine yang and he waddled to her excitedly to give her a hug.

jasmine chuckled as she hugged him back, she caressed his hair lovingly and said, "what are you doing here love?"

"'m just watching them mommy." jeongin explained as he led her to his balcony to show her the view, "see mommy? i'm protecting the people!"

jasmine cooed as she ruffled his hair, "what a brave boy i have."

jeongin's eyes sparkled at that as he puffed his chest, "that's me!"

she smiled fondly at him then noticed a wilted flower on the pot in the prince's balcony.

"innie baby, do you mind helping this little one here?"

jeongin nodded as he outstretched his hand and greenish aura appeared from his palm and the dead flower was enveloped by it.

the prince stuck his tongue out in concentration as he slowly brought the plant back to life, much to jasmine's delight.

"good boy."

it was silent for a moment before jeongin said, "i can't wait to be king!"

jasmine smiled at the boy's tone, "really now? are you ready for the responsibility?"

"yes!"

"do you know what responsibilities are?"

"mhmm! it's what makes channie BALD."

"baby, he's nine."

"his hairline says otherwise."

jasmine snorted, "well anyways, yes, being king has a lot of responsibilities. you have a lot on your plate and stuff to juggle about."

jeongin pouted at the thought of doing a lot of stuff... and a lot on his plate. hell, he can't even finish his brocolli damnit.

"that sounds STUPID!" jeongin concluded, "so many things to do!"

"yeah, it is stupid but it's for the people."

"the people are stupid also."

jasmine laughed, "you're too young to be dealing with this, you'll know when you're older."

"but just so you know little one, one day you will be faced with a situation where you have to put the needs of the many before yours."

at an early age, jeongin had been taught about his responsibilities as a prince, on what he should and shouldn't do.

that the people are his number one priority when he grew up, that their needs and their safety should be his main concern.

he didn't know what his mother was talking about when he was a kid, he thought it was all bullshit that adults say to scare children. but now he did.