xvii

jeongin sat by the entrance of the apartment building, he stared out onto the open road.

the streets were empty and were lit up by the streetlights. he looked up as he let out a sigh, he wished he stayed at the rooftop a bit longer to look at the stars with hyunjin.

the prince felt empty, he felt numb. the scene replayed on his mind as he tried to process what had almost happened.

chan raised his hand and was about to slap him hard across the cheek if the aussie had not stopped himself.

he saw the way chan's shocked expression wash over the boy, he saw the regret in his actions, and he saw the way he never meant any harm.

but it still happened.

it made jeongin feel bad.

bad that he was reminded yet again as to how much of a burden he his hyungs.

bad that he was reminded yet again that being with him is nothing but a pain physically, emotionally, and mentally.

it made him feel bad that he was making people who aren't really obligated to take care of him's lives a living nightmare.

he felt bad in general.

there was a reason why jeongin wanted to stage a coup.

and it was not so he could play princess as chan had pointed out.

it was because it was the only way he knew on how to end the sufferings of the people around him.

it was the only way he knew how to make his deceased mother proud- that all her hardwork in defending her kingdom did not go to waste.

it was the only way he could repay the people for going into hiding for so long.

it was the only way to ensure chan and jungkook could rest and breathe for once rather than being all antsy and paranoid all the time.

and yet, he couldn't do that because it was too much of a risk.

"fuck this." jeongin mumbled as he got up from where he was sitting and was about to wander.

jeongin didn't like to screw up, he doesn't like to be reminded on how much of a burden he is to the people around him, how, for the past ten years of his life, made people feel like they're atlas and he's the one saddled onto their back.

he began to wander along the streets, not really paying attention to where he was going, he just let his feet take him whereever.

he rounded up a corner and cursed when he realized that it was a dead end. he was about to go back when a figure jumped down from the roof above him, startling the prince in the process.

"what's a pretty boy like you walking all alone in a place like this?"

"jinjin hyung go away." jeongin sighed as he slightly pushed past the older, not wanting to be with people right now.

the playful expression on hyunjin's face was wiped away and changed into a look of confusion. he jogged to catch up to the younger and he asked,

"hey wait, what's wrong? did something happen?"

'don't tell him.'

"c-channie and i had a fight." he mumbled anyway as he walked.

"about what?" hyunjin asked.

the prince shrugged, "the usual shit. i want to start a revolution, a coup. but he doesn't want to because it's too big of a risk and i might diE."