Chapter Eighteen

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I rubbed my eyes to see better in the bright light then I checked who was calling and suddenly, a smile appeared on my face. I quickly swiped right to answer the call.

"Baby,"

I sobbed hearing her voice. How long has it been? Two months? Three? I lost count already.

"Mommy..."

I heard her chuckle on the other line, "Why are you crying? You're not supposed to cry."

"Mom, I missed you." My sobbing continued as tears slowly casdaded down my face.

"I missed you too, baby."

"Why did you call mom?" I checked my clock and it was only 8 in the morning. "It's still early there, right?"

"Aren't you forgetting something, young lady?"

I thought hard, what could I forget?

I gasped, "Is it your anniversary? Oh my gods, mom! I'm sorry! What should I send you? What will daddy like?"

I quickly hopped off the bed to grab a hoodie on my dresser but my mom's laugh stopped me from bolting out the door to search for a present. "No, silly. You're really getting old, baby."

"It isn't your anniversary?"

I think she was shaking her head on the other line while still chuckling. I scratched my head, "So, whose anniversary or birthday is it?"

She laughed harder. Oh, that sweet melodious laugh that my mother produces. I smiled while imagining her face and her nose scrunching up from laughing too much.

Mommy, I miss you.

"Have she not figured it out, yet?" I heard my dad's voice from the other line so I squealed like a child.

"Daddy!"

"Your dad said that you're still a little slow, darling. Put me on hold and check your calendar please."

My eyebrow shot up while doing what she told me to do and when I saw the date, I giggled like a child.

I quickly resumed our call and with a throaty laugh I said, "It's my birthday, mom!"

"Indeed it is. Happy birthday, honey!" They both chorused the greeting. I smiled but felt a pain on my chest. Another celebration without them. Another year without my family.

However, I removed any trace of sadness and with enthusiasm, I shouted, "Thank you, mommy and daddy!"

"We sent you a little amount so that you could celebrate with your members. Treat them well, okay?"

I nodded even though they wouldn't see it. "We better go, honey. Your dad is really busy. Yeah?"

"Mom?" I whimpered while speaking.

She paused, "Is everything all right, baby?"

Mom, I'm sad and scared and uncertain. Will you tell me that everything's going to be okay?

I released a strained breath and forced a smile, "Nothing, mom. I love you. Thank you for calling me. I miss you so much."

"Lisa, you can tell me everything, okay?"

I swallowed the forming lump in my throat before answering, "Yes, mommy. I l-love you." However, my voice still broke. I coughed to let my mom think it was normal.

"Lisa..."

"Go, mom. I don't want to take too much of your time. Bye bye."

"Love you, honey."