Chapter Thirty Seven

Jennie's POV

I was about to ask her where she's been but I stop myself from doing so thinking that maybe they already asked her that. And what right do I have to ask her when she ran away because of me?

Instead, I slowly made my way towards the table to put boxes of chicken and I sat in front of her since I don't have any other choice.

Jisoo and Chaeyoung weren't speaking and were just looking at us both, their lips shut and their gazes intense.

Lisa suddenly reached for my hand that's on the table but I flinched and immediately retracted it. I fidgeted beneath the table while her gaze was steady on me.

I knew she saw what I did but the smile on her face never dropped. It's the same smile I've grown to love but now, it feels like it's from a different person.

"How have you been, Jennie?"

"G-good." I choked out the words then cleared my throat to say it again. "Good. I'm fine. How about you?"

She rested her back on the chair and released a satisfied sigh. "Good to know. Same. Better than ever."

Then we became quiet again as the atmosphere became awkward and I sat there, looking at her.

What's changed in you, Lisa? You seem... different.

Jisoo forced a laugh and pointed at the boxes in front of her. "Are those chikin?" She asked in her tiny voice using english.

I almost rolled my eyes at her for asking the obvious but I still nodded my head while I averted my gaze from Lisa to her then acted cute. "Yes. Uhm... my compensation for being late?"

Jisoo grinned and winked at me. "Forgiven."

I smiled while shaking my head but then, I felt someone's eyes on me. When I looked at the person in front of me, she was analyzing me with an amused expression. When she saw me looking at her, she gave me a thumbs up and smiled. "Glad to know that you both are still doing well."

Jisoo choked and I stiffened.

I heard Jisoo scrambling to get water and Rosie was looking at me wide eyed.

Her smile looks legit which made my heart prickle.

No. It's still her.

Still the same old Lisa who can hurt me silently.

I felt someone kick my leg and when I looked at Jisoo, she was communicating with me through her eyes.

Say it! Her eyes were practically screaming those words at me. I gave her a slight shake of the head before ignoring Lisa's remark. I reached for the box of chicken, offering it to Lisa then Rosie and Jisoo.

"Thank you." I heard Lisa say softly.

I smiled to myself and took a piece too.

No. Thank you. For coming home. For being with us again.

And I promise you, I won't lose you once more.

The awkward atmosphere awhile ago vanished as we got into the groove of talking again.

"Where have you been all this time, Lisa?" The oldest asked as she was munching on her chicken.

I shook my head at her and saw Lisa finishing a piece so I immediately handed her some wet towels.

She took it and wiped her fingers. "Just... here and there. But I mostly stayed in Seoul. Chipmunk knew about it." She replied nonchalantly as she grabbed another piece.