Chapter Twenty One

They both jumped away from each other when they heard Chaeyoung clear her throat. I gave them a tight smile before heading towards the kitchen. My ears were ringing and air seemed to escape my lungs faster, making me heave from the emotions coursing through me.

I can also feel my armor breaking, I need to get back to my room immediately but a voice stopped me.

"Lisa."

The crack widened when I felt her small hand on my arm. Well, there goes my chance to escape.

I held in a sigh before smiling again or I think it looked more like a grimace. My lips twitched from the effort.

"Hey, Jen! What's up?" My voice sounded breathless and chirpy at the same time that I saw Chaeyoung shake her head on my peripheral vision.

I saw her mouth move. 'Try harder!'

I widened my eyes at her, trying to communicate with her through my eyes. 'I'm trying!"

She rolled her eyes before looking at the television again.

"Lisa? Are you listening?"

"Oh. I–" I cleared my throat then coaxed my lips, wetting it just enough. It felt like my tongue was sand paper and I just ate a handful of wood dust.

"Yeah. You okay?" I mentally rolled my eyes at myself.

You should ask that to yourself, Lisa. Not her! She's more than fine after what happened.

She tried to capture my gaze but I kept glancing here and there. She gave up and just settled on looking at the door behind me.

"I am. Are you okay now?"

I nodded then acted cute. Gods, this is so annoying and heartbreaking at the same time.

"I am, unnie. Never better."

"What happened to your lips?"

"I- uh..." I scratched my head while thinking of an alibi. "I slipped and my head hit the side of my bedside table. I'm okay now, though. Is that all?"

She was quiet for a moment before clearing her throat, "Don't you–"

I started walking away from her when I felt her grip loosen. She was startled by my action that panic suddenly etched on her pretty face.

She gripped my arm again, tighter this time. I grimaced, feeling her nails dig into my skin. "Wait! Where are you going?"

I pried her hands on me a little too harsh that I saw something in her eyes before it vanished.

Mayhaps anger? Curiousity? I don't know. I didn't want to dig myself a deeper hole by reading her too much.

"Chill, Ni–" my breathing hitched and she looked at me, expecting me to finish my sentence.

"Nini. I was just about to grab some breakfast. I'm famished."

"O-Oh. I'm sorry." She said as she followed me.

I kept myself busy, doing everything I could just to stop her from talking to me. I was avoiding where this conversation was heading to; towards the elephant in the room.

I thought she'll wait for me to finish but as I was mixing my coffee, I heard her small voice.

"Don't you remember anything from the night of your birthday?"

My eyes widened and made me lose my hold on the spoon. It clattered loudly which echoed throughout the room. Thankfully, my back was turned against her or she would've seen my expression.