Hide-And-Seek (1)

~12 Years Ago~

Heavy pantings could be heard in the middle of the night right before the entrance to the woods. Two shadows that differ in sizes could be seen panting heavily, trying to catch their breath.

...: "Jungkook, let's play hide-and-seek with mommy now alright?"
Jungkook looked up at his mother with his innocent eyes, head tilting to the side at her sudden request.

Mrs Jeon: "I'll count to 10 and you start running into the woods. Keep on running and don't stop, don't look back no matter what you hear either."
She trembled as she spoke softly.

Tears trickled down her pale cheeks as she cupped Jungkook's cold cheeks with her blood-soaked hands. Tears started to well up in Jungkook's eyes when he sensed something wrong.

Jungkook: "Mommy, can't we run together? I don't want to leave you." Tears fell from his eyes inevitably.

Jungkook was afraid. He knew this wasn't a game, and this might be the last time he gets to see his mother. He was afraid he'll lose her forever.

Mrs Jeon: "Please be a good boy and listen to mommy one last time!"
His mother begged while wiping the tears away from Jungkook's face.

She brought Jungkook into an embrace, tears trickling down both of their cheeks. Jungkook breathed in his mother's scent for one last time. It was sweet, but Jungkook's heart was bitter.

Too bitter to his liking.

Loud footsteps and heavy pantings could be heard catching up to them, it was Jungkook's father. He's holding onto the fresh wound on his stomach which hasn't stopped bleeding a few minutes ago. Jungkook's mother had stabbed him with a knife, resulting in her hands getting soaked in his blood.

Mrs Jeon: "Go! Run and hide, wait till mommy comes and find you!"
She pushed Jungkook out of her arms.

She watched as Jungkook took a few steps back while gazing deep into her eyes, fresh tears replacing each drop continuously. He clenched his fists and gritted his teeth before giving his mother one last look in her dull eyes. Without any words, he turned around and ran towards the woods.

Mrs Jeon: "One, two, three, four, five-"

Jungkook ran deeper into the woods as fast as his short legs could carry him. Suddenly, he couldn't hear his mother's voice anymore. He burst into tears once again, heart shattering into pieces but he kept on running.

Mr Jeon finally caught up to his wife, he was drunk and he was mad- enraged. He wanted to kill her right on the spot, along with their son.

Mr Jeon: "You crazy woman! How could you stab me?! I can't believe I married a crazy bitch like you!"
He yelled while pressing a hand onto his wound.

Mrs Jeon had enough of her life. She had been physically and sexually abused whenever Mr Jeon drinks. He always sleeps through the day and drinks through the night, not caring at all for his family. She had tried getting him to sign the divorce paper countless times, but he would always tear it into pieces followed by hitting her with a broom, or anything he could get his hands on.

Mrs Jeon had to work as a tutor for her neighbour's kids in the day, and as a waitress at a nearby family restaurant in the night. She also had to take care of Jungkook, being both his mom and dad for he was only five years old. Jungkook was obviously malnourished and he looked smaller than his age, yet he was mature.

He had to be.

Mrs Jeon didn't mind working harder for her family as long as there are warm meals placed on the table for Jungkook at the end of the day. What she couldn't stand, was whenever Mr Jeon wants to use her for pleasure, especially when Jungkook was with them. He treats his wife like a toy, uses her only when he needs her, and throws her to the side after he was done.

Mrs Jeon didn't want to show her son such an unsightly side of her so she always rejects Mr Jeon, but that only made him infuriated thus beating her over and over again. He even went as far as to raping her right in front of their son.

Although Jungkook was young, he often witnessed his mother screaming for help but ending up under his father every night. It was a dreadful cycle, and whenever Jungkook did step in to stop his father, he would get kicked to the side of the house, banging onto the wall and fainting every time. Jungkook would wake up to his mother sobbing and trembling furiously as she sat with torn shirts barely covering any of her bruised flesh, all huddled in a corner of the house.

Jungkook would always cry with her, small little hands caressing her tear-stained cheeks in an attempt to make her feel better about herself.

His heart broke for her every day.

Jungkook didn't have it any better. Whenever Mrs Jeon's out working in the night, his father would take his sexual frustration out on Jungkook. He would strip Jungkook of his shirt and if Jungkook resists, he would kick him in the stomach. He had instilled a very negative thought into the mind and soul of a carefree, young child.

Jungkook finds himself disgusting.

Jungkook didn't tell his mother because he didn't want to add another burden into her miserable life. She was already living in hell, and he didn't want to make it worse. If keeping quiet and making it seem like nothing has happened will put her mother's mind to ease, then so be it.

Mrs Jeon snickered, losing her sanity.
Mrs Jeon: "I'm crazy? Yeah, I'm really crazy to fall for all your lies! I'm really crazy I didn't kill you earlier!"

Mrs Jeon took a sharp rock beside her and pounced at Mr Jeon, smashing the rock onto his forehead causing blood to rush down his head within seconds. Mr Jeon was clearly shocked by Mrs Jeon's courage. He snatched the rock from her hands and he was livid.

Mr Jeon: "Die! Fucking bitch!"

He smashed the rock on Mrs Jeon's head until she dropped onto the ground lifelessly. She stopped moving, and eventually stopped breathing.

Mr Jeon was panting heavily while staring at the motionless corpse in front of him. His eyes shone in a new kind of excitement, letting out a burst of laughter as he kicked her body aside.

Mr Jeon: "Now, time to find him..."
He mumbled as he licked the blood that had splattered onto his lips.