20. Six Years Ago

lord this chapter is a doozy. I be forgetting details about my characters that have to be consistent throughout the story. That's why my notes look like this ^^^ lmao 😭💀
anyone else? maybe it's just me lol I'm disorganized 🤷🏽‍♀️

-also this chapter will need a lot of editing so jus give me a little time lol

//

*Flashback*

May 18, 2012

Adonis and his mother had been in the exam room for longer than he'd felt comfortable. His mother was growing increasingly annoyed with her lack of answers. All she wanted to know was why her younger son was so different than her older?

Due to his mother's frustration, a new physician, different than the woman before entered the room.

"Good Afternoon you two.."

"Can we speed this up please? I have to get my other son from school."

"We have to take our time in order to get to the bottom of this as accurately as we can. So I'd like to start by speaking with...Adonis, is it?"

The 11 year old shook his head yes.

"He doesn't speak, hardly at all! At school..nothing. Doesn't matter what I do. If he doesn't feel like talking, he won't. He also doesn't like being around other kids."

"When did this begin?"

"He always didn't talk much...but the discomfort around strangers? That began when he was a little younger...there was a uh...incident."

The uncomfortable child shifted in his seat.

"Could we be more specific?"

As the adults discussed the traumatic events young Adonis had been through, he felt betrayed. For this woman was nothing but a stranger to him, hearing his own mother tell her the details of everything that happened to him was beyond upsetting.

Though he also noticed, several of the details were changed. Certain things being added, others taken away. Specifically, any and everything that had to do with his father, in which his mother recently separated from.

That annoyed him. His father was one of the only people that made him feel better when things were going wrong.

"Adonis. You don't have to give an in depth answer, all I want is a yes or no. Do you ever feel nervous or afraid when you think of the things that happened to you?"

He nodded yes.

"Do you have troubles sleeping?"

Rather than Adonis answering, his mother interjected.

"I noticed he does wake up at night. Sometimes I hear him get up in the middle of the night..it's bad."

The woman wrote something down, and continued.

"Ok. So, Adonis. Do you ever feel like hurting yourself?"

The more questions that were asked, the more his mother would answer. With the only excuse she had was "I'll talk because Adonis doesn't like talking."

And so, throughout the assessment Adonis' debatably well-meaning mother answered questions to get a diagnosis, a prescription and leave...rather than to truly understand the problem with her son.

Adonis of course, stayed quiet. Even when he knew his mother would exaggerate the truth, and even when she wasn't telling the truth at all.