Episode 2: Aspirations

When Lute came to, he was repulsed by the state he was in

When Lute came to, he was repulsed by the state he was in. His fur was sticky, drenched, and marked all over with stains of the mud and moss. He brushed and shook himself off as much as he could, but it made little difference. Once his lack of energy made itself apparent, he focused and looked around. He was still in the cave by the river, but it looked like the current had calmed right down compared to earlier. The water didn't look as deep, either.

"Wait, Sylveon," he whispered, searching the ground for her. She wasn't too far from him; though she was just as dirty, still unconscious but breathing. On closer inspection, her head had some red marks beneath her drooping, messy head fur. Lute dared to move that fur out of the way, revealing an awful cut.

"She's still bleeding?" he gasped and began to panic a bit. He was surprised to find his bag poking out of the mud near where he woke up, but he thanked the almighty he found it and rummaged through it. It was a waterproof drawstring bag that he'd gotten his mother to sew tighter for him, letting it seal airtight. Thanks to that, his scarf and souvenirs inside were untouched, if a little damp and cold.

He didn't think twice to grab the scarf. He struggled to move Sylveon around thanks to her size, but sitting her up so that his hind legs held her head straight let him concentrate on tying the scarf around her head. He barely got to tying the actual knot when she started to squirm and moan however, and he slowed down.

"Are you?" he muttered. Her eyes slowly opened, meeting his face upside-down. That made her blink, and then she noticed his legs beside her face.

"Argh what the heck!" she cried, throwing herself upwards. Her forehead hit his chin hard, and then the two were stumbling around in tears and pain. "A-ah... what was that for?"

"What's that for? Why did you do that?" he cried, realising he was getting more dirt on his face. "Gah, no! But it hurts..."

"I mean what do you think you're doing? Eek, ow," she squeaked, retracting a paw from her head. A feeler went to touch it next, which only made her cringe.

"Y-yeah, er... your head was bleeding a bit so I was going to use my scarf to help or something," he calmed down.

"Your scarf... a scarf is not a bandage!" she cried, pulling a feeler away to reveal the light mark of blood. "Damn it's bleeding and everything... what'd I do to get that?"

"You hit your head really hard when we fell in the river, I think. I found you at the bottom, passed out," Lute informed.

"When we fell in the river," Sylveon mumbled blankly. She looked around, then back at him and grit her fangs. "What the hell?"

"What?" he flinched.

"When 'we' fell in the river? What the heck were you doing with me that brought me to this dank, dark... I don't even know where we are. What is this place? Were you trying to do funny stuff with me?" she replied. She stomped with her steps, quickly realising she'd sunk her feet into the mud. "Argh it's gross!"