Episode 28: Temple of the North

Lute couldn't stop breathing aloud

Lute couldn't stop breathing aloud. His breaths weren't hoarse or weak, but they were deep and exaggerated. In fact, it was all he could do. His body felt heavier than a slab of cement, sprawled out and lifeless on the cold, wet rocks of the surface of Reis Island. His friends were all around him and were no better, dropped to zero energy from their desperate swim to the island.

Fortunately for them, the island's mountainous layout and valleys provided the perfect coverage for where they washed up. There were King's Shield agents on the island, but they were stationed in the safest spots perfect for an ambush, while Lute's team were well hidden.

"Hey, I know you guys are kinda dying and all that, but they did see the gondola crash and stuff. You're not gonna be able to sleep here forever," Naivie fluttered over them. They barely moved. "Don't make me sell you kids out. C'mon, rise and shine babies! World saving awaits."

"Naivie c'mon, just stop," Esther grumbled and turned away.

Naivie started prodding her. "If you sit there, there'll eventually find you. And then all this struggling will be for nothing. C'mon, you've gotta move!"

"She has a point, obnoxiously," Phoenix said as he casually stood up. One look at him made them feel even more tired. Somehow, he looked the same as he always did, brimming with energy but unbothered and plain. The group hung their heads as they forced themselves to their feet, but even after a few minutes, they still had to lean on walls.

"This is the worst way to do an exploration. And we still have to go back under to get to the temple, right?" Sophitia said. "Man, I've really put us in it this time."

"I actually did a little tour of the island while you lot were out. You should be able to handle it," Naivie said. "All up? Alright then, follow me carefully. I'll lead you guys the shortest way there. But there are groups of police and agents stationed all over the place, so stay outta their sight and try to be quiet."

"Stealth? I never thought I'd be happy about avoidin' fights. Just gotta keep my stomach quiet," Esther grumbled.

"They're stationed all over the island? Seriously? How many Pokémon did they get to come after us?" Lute wondered.

"I think they're pretty serious about the whole temple thing. After all, Lassic loses if you guys get there," Naivie said. Everyone was stood up now. "Breathe through your noses and keep quiet, okay? Now follow me."

"We'll go one at a time. Lute and Infia, you're the smallest, so you first," Sophitia suggested. The Minun was still slumped forward and pale from fatigue however, so Lute pushed her so that she was sat on his back.

"Wa-wait, stop I don't—" she gasped.

"It's fine, I don't mind," he said, looking up at her. "Try to rest and recover as much as you can."

"But I... I hate this." She scrunched herself.

"I know how you feel, but this isn't about being weak or strong right now. You've done your best. Now let me do what I do best," he said.