Episode 5: Infia's Real Secret

"So I was meant to have gone home already, but I couldn't help but be amused by this joke of a scene," Victoria began. Her voice was muffled by her wing, but she was so loud and proud that she could be understood. "You're supposed to be the police, aren't you? Yet here you are entertaining this juvenile peasant. Is this some sort of training exercise? Because if you're genuinely considering their points, then I have concerns for your abilities overall. You must all be fools if you lose to this."

"How can you say something like this? You're her mother, aren't you? Don't let her get in trouble for something like this!" Lute cried.

Victoria started playing with the tips of her wings. "Yes, you're right. She is my daughter. But adopted, nonetheless. And if an adopted daughter wishes to join Spirle, then I won't stand for their heinous acts no matter who they are."

She looked over her wing at Infia's struggled position on the floor. "Especially if they put on such pathetic displays to try and frame their mothers."

"This reeks," Sophitia stated.

Victoria went back to hiding behind her wing. "Pardon me?"

"You heard me. You reek. You're a Spirle member, aren't you?" Sophitia asked.

"Wa-wait, if she really is Spirle, then," Lute leaned away.

Victoria straightened herself. "Focus on the fight, will you? When you're in a fight, words mean nothing. So attempted insults like that simply soil your appearance." She turned her back on the crowd and stretched her wings out. "Do you see any missing feathers? It'd be awfully distasteful of me to show up to work with balding feathers."

Sophitia shook her head again, realising what was being said. This was it. If a fight really did break out between Infia and her mother over the bomb, there would clearly be some feathers missing from the Spritzee. There wasn't enough time between now and then to replace them.

But there were none. As far as Sophitia could see, Victoria's back, sides, and wings were as perfect and styled as a Spritzee's would be expected. There wasn't even a mark or a sign of damage from a Pokémon attack. Her back and wings were smooth, pink, and shiny clean.

"No, that can't be," Sophitia whispered. Lute gawked at her, and his face turned pale. "There's nothing there. She couldn't possibly be untouched."

"Wha-what do you mean? It's right there," Lute gasped.

"I don't see any damage or balding. Your feathers are smooth as an Electrode, like my fur," Meowstic praised.

"Huh? Wait, are you guys serious?" Lute gasped, glancing side to side.

"Not a good time for a joke, Lute," Sophitia said, trying to remain calm. If she's literally untouched, then that means she wasn't there at all... my whole argument falls back!

"See? You were clinging to opinionated dribble, just like any child when they're arguing with an adult," Victoria replied. Sophitia growled at her. "Children these days need to know their place."

"I did not say that leaves you off the hook," Meowstic replied, getting her attention. "We still don't know where you were during all of this. As a Pokémon capable of getting into that room, whose whereabouts were unknown until now, there is a possibility that you are the culprit."

"You just saw the evidence that I am not. Or do you just intend to keep me here, captivated by my appearance?" Victoria spat.

Why is he helping me? Isn't he meant to be against me? Sophitia thought.

"All of you can see for yourselves. I have no feathers missing. Is there something I must do to prove it?" Victoria asked. She hid behind her wing again.