Episode 13: Missing Feelings

Everyone expected Lute to be talkative after their successful rescue

Everyone expected Lute to be talkative after their successful rescue. Instead, the Eevee was quieter than he was during their trip to the Radial Castle. To say he was lost in thought was an understatement – he was so far deep that he didn't even respond when his name was called.

This whole experience made him reflect on all of his recent events. He felt responsible for Infia's depression, responsible because of his own refusal to accept everything that had actually been going on. He wanted everything to be black and white. He wanted Sophitia's amnesia to lead to adventure. He wanted being an agent to lead to excitement.

All it did was reveal the nasty intricacies of reality. He didn't know what was being expected from him, yet he felt as though he was expected to know and act in some adult way. Meanwhile, the feelings of those closest to him were going through the same thing, and despite how obvious that was, he had been ignoring them all the whole time.

Infia was fine. She was alive. He so badly wanted to be relieved about that, but it was obvious that she wasn't and was still in the same danger as before. The way she sat on his back, slumped forward like a lifeless doll the whole way back to Everend told him. He couldn't feel a single living vibe from her.

"Lute!" Cinder's voice finally snapped him out of his trance. The Flareon had to shout at the top of his voice.

"Wha?" the Eevee responded, dazed a bit.

"Finally. We're back in Everend. But you've been out of it the whole time," Cinder said. "What's the plan?"

"It's kinda late. And we haven't eaten yet, either. You guys hungry?" Raiju asked.

Lute made a sound and looked around to gather where he was. Everend was unchanged. Just the same quiet, cosy town filled with Pokémon following routine. The hour was late and dark, so there weren't many Pokémon around. None of them would be aware or maybe even care much that he had just dived off a tower to save a Pokémon's life.

Infia's current state. Of course. This was about her right now, not him. When they found her, she wasn't wearing her usual clothing, not even the necessary nappy. It revealed that the situation with the mirror was worse than they imagined, too. Her body, her arms especially, were covered in cuts and marks. You would never be able to tell how much she'd hurt herself beneath all her usual pink clothes. He wanted to ask about it, but refrained.

"We should get you home. More than anything, you need rest," Lute suggested. She shuffled a bit, and that was all.

"I would say that's a good call, but, what's the deal with that Fennekin?" Cinder replied.

Lute led the way anyway. "We'll have to deal with him."

"You can't stop him from doing his job," Infia said weakly.

"But his job was also to look after you. Right when it mattered most, he refused to help," Lute said, unable to hide his fury. He held his breath for a moment, surprised to hear himself sound so angry. His tone silenced Infia though, making him down his ears. "Sorry, Infia. I'm not going to do anything bad. I just... I really want you to be okay after all this."