Episode 20: The Sixth Hero

Lute was the first to come to

Lute was the first to come to. His awareness that returned to him in a flash. One moment he was gone from the world, the next, fully aware that he had fainted and sprung to his feet.

"Sophitia? Everyone?" He glanced at their collapsed bodies. They all seemed to wake up at the same time, so he sighed. He turned his attention to the surroundings instead, and quickly concluded that they were still in the temple.

"What was that all about? I feel like I slept in a wet barrel or something," Esther complained as she stretched her back. "Everybuddy alright?"

"Stiff, but I'm okay," Infia replied.

"Awake," Phoenix said.

"I think we're all dead inside. Did we at least do it?" Sophitia commented. "Naivie. Where's Naivie?"

"Oh yeah, Naivie. Where's- what is that?" Lute cried.

He choked as he realised he was stood in the shadow of a towering plant. Whatever this blooming flower was, it would make a Wailord look like a Joltik in comparison, or that was at least how Lute felt about it. Massive broad leaves hung above them while roots appeared to have torn through the rock, claiming a pot for the plant in the cave floor. The pink bud of the plant hadn't fully flowered, where a few of the leaves cradled it protectively.

"Holy Miltank look at the size of that thing!" Esther cried and fell back.

"I-is that really the ancient flower? I wasn't expecting it to be massive," Sophitia said.

"What were you expecting it to be?" Naivie said.

"I dunno. Something a little more magical and not as intimida- Naivie! You're okay?" Sophitia gasped.

"Intimidating? Man, you Pokémon sure are weak if you're getting intimidated by a little giant flower," the Carbink teased. "Thanks for passing out, too. You only left me bored for a good several hours. I'll have to charge you for sleeping on hotel property."

"Little giant used to describe one thing. Now I've heard it all," Esther said.

"Look, here. See that sleeping cutie here? That's a Shaymin." Naivie brought everyone's attention to the tiny creature at the foot of the flower. It was a hedgehog Pokémon half of Lute's size, but instead of spines, smooth, vivid green grass covered its back. Its body was white and plump, and was curled up to sleep comfortably. Between the Shaymin and the ancient flower, it was as if the two mimicked each other, coiled up and hugging themselves for comfort.

"We won't be able to wake it up now, but this is the physical manifestation of the ancient flower's will. While the flower is alive, the Shaymin will also be. But the flower is asleep now, as you can see. So none of your precious V Waves will come out of it just yet," Naivie explained.

"So how do we make it? Or at least, will the weather be better?" Lute asked.

"The Shaymin all have to wake up in perfect sync, or the seasons will be out of order and stuff. That'd be a bigger disaster. So, we have to plant all four seeds and grow the flowers first. You've done this one, so three to go," Naivie answered. "It's not all bleak, though. You should notice some very slight changes in the weather. I hope that's good enough for you."