Episode 9: The Date

The rest of that week was a slog. Even though it had been proven to be a mistake, Lute was fully expected his King's Shield badge to go off again and constantly checked it whenever he had the free time. It didn't vibrate or blink even once, leading to days that felt longer than ever before.

He was able to adjust back to the normal schedule, at least. Early rising, squabbles with Sophitia, her overeating at breakfast, and then a jog to school. Once there, Raiju's antics would ensue whilst Lute's group worked together on their projects, though there was a lot more teasing about Lute and Infia's date from the lot of them. It wasn't anything he'd complain about though, as it kept him focused and smiling. He loved his friends, school life, and wouldn't change any of it even with his new job as a secret agent.

Then came the weekend at last. When Lute woke up that morning, Marina and Sophitia were far more excited than he was; cheeky smiles with fangs and gleeful messages all day, even though he tried to carry on as normal. The plan was for Infia to meet at their house so that they could make their way to Densan City during sunset, where they'd have a little bit of time to kill and be early for the performance.

"Is it done yet?" Lute whined. Sophitia giggled as she continued to fasten buttons on a shirt. She stepped away to admire her work. Lute now possessed his first costume thanks to the girls. A black, sleeveless shirt had been fitted around his waist, while a tiny bow tie poked through the front of his mane. "It's so tight and stuffy."

"Careful with your head, too. All that gel and water keeps your fur in place so that you look smart," Marina warned. He had to resist the urge to scratch an itch, and grumbled instead. Looking in a mirror, the shirt was barely visible and just matted down his fur, while the work on his head fur had only straightened his usual style so that it couldn't get messier.

"You guys are way too excited about this," he sighed. The front door knocked just then, setting off the girl's squeals.

"She's here she's here! Go answer it Lute, and chin up," Marina said. He grumbled again as he walked over.

It was Infia at the door. His mood switched thanks to her appearance, which was unexpectedly cleaner than her usual look at school. Her pigtails were smoother, while her yellow fur was shiny from how clean it was. She wore a white and pink sleeveless shirt that only covered her chest, and a frilly tutu that shimmered with pinks, purples, and glitter. Bow ties adorned her right ear and chest.

For the first time ever, Lute was overwhelmed by her appearance. He felt himself choke inside and didn't know what to say or do besides stare and gawk. When she said she was going to get new clothes, the last thing he was expecting was something so girly, something that brought out the definition of 'cute' within her.

He could feel his body heating up the longer they stared like this, both from the tightness of his new shirt and the new feelings he was experiencing with her. "U-um. Hi."

"Ahaha, you dressed up, too?" she replied with a squeak, going red as well.

"Don't stand out there like that, come in, come in!" Marina rushed over to show her inside. "Lute, I expected better from you."

"E-er, sorry. You didn't have trouble getting here by the way, did you?" Lute asked and scratched his face.

"No. I remember the way from before," Infia bowed. "Thank you so much for having me over, Miss Aska."

"Please, just Marina is fine. I'm surprised you came on your own, though. Didn't your new carer worry?" wondered the Vaporeon.

"Mister Phoenix is actually working at the show tonight, that was why he let me go in the first place. Lute, Sophitia, did you know that he was Esther's bodyguard?" Infia said.