Episode 21: Temple of the East

"Allow me to apologise

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Allow me to apologise. Kuri isn't normally like this," Gen said, crouched beside Lute. "He doesn't mean to target you directly."

"He said a lot of mean stuff, ya'know. You don't need to sugar-coat it," Sophitia said.

"No, I mean it. Kuri has a heavy bias against Lassic. I do as well, but he acts on it personally. So any agents he comes across, he refuses to give a chance," Gen explained. "It is a deeply rooted hatred that leads him to act that way. You'll just have to understand."

"Well thank god we don't actually need him to awaken the flowers. I don't think I could take it if we had to travel with someone that bitter," Sophitia rolled her eyes.

Lute kept his head down while the rest of them bickered about the now absent Chespin. They complained, but to him, they were just trying to sympathise with him. He knew that Kuri wasn't wrong, and that was what stung so much. Anxious thanks to the cold and darkness around him, let alone the circles the conversation moved in, Lute growled.

"Kuri's not the problem," Lute finally spoke up Everyone went quiet. "He's telling the truth. If V Waves stop working and everybody loses their technology, it will break Aseria. We're far too dependent on it."

"Well we can't just sit here and let everything die. I thought that's what you believed?" Esther replied.

"I don't think Lassic will be able to make any machines that fix the weather, though. That sounds like a real fantasy," Infia added.

"I know. That's what makes this so difficult. If we awaken those flowers, we bring back the seasons, but we also destroy the foundation the entirety of society is built up on," Lute turned away from everyone. "If only there was some way to make everyday machinery still work even without V Waves. Naivie—"

"Don't look at me. I can't magically resolve this problem of yours. It's purely a problem for modern day kids," Naivie said.

Lute faced the floor. "Perhaps it's impossible for everyone to be happy. No matter what we do, we destroy the world."

"Argh, is that anything a hero would say?" Sophitia snapped. He didn't look at her. "He said we're not heroes, but I believe you can be. That's why you joined the agents, that's why you wanted to join the agents. Don't let some pessimistic naysayer tell you otherwise!"

Lute looked up at her, expecting some kind of sarcastic tone to come. Instead, there was a look of genuine annoyance on her face, and her eyes were fixated on him. Was she actually annoyed at him for not being overly positive about this?

He looked away again. That didn't matter. What mattered right now is what they did. In the loosest sense possible, even if the everyday technology stopped, Pokémon would be able to survive. They survived for this long without it. A time of panic wasn't ideal, but it was better than ignoring the dying weather. He looked back up at everyone, and then at the surroundings.