Episode 27: Loneliness Together

"At least tell us what they're doing to her

"At least tell us what they're doing to her. You can't leave us in the dark like this, please!" Infia cried as she slapped her paws against the door.

"Will you stop that? All you're doing is distracting the scientists," one of the agents shouted her. "Reminder that you guys are all under contempt right now. Sit down and be quiet or we'll be forced to pass premature judgement!"

"But she's innocent! They could be hurting her when she's done nothing wrong," Infia cried and slammed the door even harder.

"Infia, please! What's gotten into you?" Sophitia pulled her back with her feelers. The Minun sniffled and shuddered, but accepted the grip and gave up there.

They were back in the underground base in Pokétopia, but there was clear evidence of the Spirle attack that Silver mentioned. Most of the machinery was damaged, glass was smashed, walls were marked with burns, and the staff were injured. A horrible battle had definitely taken place here, and despite having nothing to do with it, Lute couldn't help but feel a sense of guilt from looking at it all.

It was cold and quiet, aside from the sniffles and shuffles of him and his group. Running water could be heard somewhere in the distance, and the smell implied that it was sewage or something. They had to bear it however, guarded by agents as they awaited the results of whatever they were doing to Esther in the test room. The instant the handle for that room opened, Infia shot to her feet and pressed her paws together. Athens the Meowstic emerged from the room and signalled them to come over without a word.

The test room appeared to be mostly unharmed. Silver, Marina, and a few other agents were present, though the latter were hard at work on the computers lining the room. Esther was slipping her shirt back on, and was watched closely by the same Hitmonlee as before.

"Esther!" Infia cried. The Pikachu was snatched the moment she spoke, and she gave the Hitmonlee a brutal stare.

"This is a considerable situation if I ever knew one. I actually cannot believe things went on this long without us noticing," Athens began. He tucked his arms behind his back. "We've isolated the problem. It's absurd, but no matter what way you put it, it gave Spirle the knowledge to act as they have."

"Well then, what is it? Don't mess about," Sophitia said.

"Esther has some sort of camera implanted in her head," Athens revealed. Everyone's eyes widened. "Amazingly, it isn't the slightest bit detrimental to her health. However, it is intricate enough to broadcast everything she sees and hears to a location Spirle have been using as a base until now."

"Well then what're we waiting for? Let's trace it and take down Spirle!" Sophitia said.

"Too late. We sent out agents to the location the moment we discovered it, but by the time we got there, they were long gone, all of their important data and records taken with them." Athens scratched his chin. "The point is, everything your group has said and done until now, Spirle have seen it. They took record and planned today's attack almost flawlessly."