Episode 30: Beginning of the End

Silence. Everyone was gathered in the main room of Pokétopia's agent base, yet all was silent. Heads were hung, some had their eyes closed, and any shuffles were kept to a minimum. Even Kuri was leaned against the wall in silence.

Eventually, Marina began to shift forward a bit, and nodded her head as if struggling to keep a hold of herself. She did fall forward completely, but she was caught and held by Athens. He struggled to lift her, but after a shudder and a sniffle, she picked herself back up.

"Marina," Athens muttered.

"It's okay. It's okay. I knew this day was coming. I just didn't expect it to be so soon," she said. Her tone was unbearable. She opened her eyes and they were filled with tears, yet she maintained a straight face. It was morbid to look at. "We don't have time to waste. We have to focus now."

"Mum," Lute whispered.

"You don't have to be so strong you know. No one here is judging you," Kuri said without looking at her.

"Are you sure?" Marina whimpered. No one replied, but their sorrowful appearances were an answer enough. Seeing that, the Vaporeon sniffled once more and then leaned on the table with her paws by her eyes. Tears streaked down her face and weak hiccups strained her voice, which echoed throughout the room. "She's gone. I can't believe she's actually gone."

Lute couldn't look at her. He had seen Marina get emotional a fair share of times, yet this time it felt the worst. He hadn't ever considered Marina and Silver to be close friends, yet here she was, staining the floor and the table with tears. She sounded like she was trying to say something more, but all those words were lost to her wails.

He felt guilty, even though he didn't do anything. Or perhaps that was the problem, the fact that he didn't try harder to help Silver, and in a way, contributed to her death by attacking her. No matter what way he thought about it, he regretted his actions. Both the out of character decision to attack her, but also the self-defence feelings that made him stay quiet in the first place.

"Silver fought so hard against Spirle for all this time. S-she dedicated everything she had to them. Even though we were far apart, I always knew," Marina said, unable to stop her tears or stabilise her voice. "Perhaps if I hadn't run away back then, all those years ago, things could have turned out differently. Perhaps I could have really understood how she felt and made her happier."

"It's not fair to blame yourself. You were protecting you and Lute," Infia reasoned.

"Besides, it was all because of Spirle. You came back and helped, even though you were suffering all that mental pain," Esther added. "Ya'know? Like, you let Lute and that lot make a team. And then you started working with the agents again, too. You weren't scared at all; you just did what you could."

"And now, thanks to Spirle's twisted ambition, you've lost one of your strongest," Kuri joined in. "The only regretful thing you could do now is refuse to finish what she started."

"Kuri?" Marina replied, surprised that he approached.

"Lassic is away. Silver is gone. The only one left who can steer this ship is you," he stated. Marina gulped and sniffled. "So finish it. When your head's clear, review all the information and come up with a plan."

Marina shuddered and took a deep breath. She had to blink her eyes dry. "You're right. I know you're right, and still... you'll have to forgive me. I need an evening."

"It may be for the best if we drop this here," Athens suggested, and helped to guide Marina away. He stopped in the doorway. "I suggest you all remain here for the evening. You are free to go where you wish, but do not leave Pokétopia."