Tragedy of The Nightmare King

Author's Note: This is the next revision done by crossoverLIFE19. Enjoy! 🤗

I sit alone in the underground lair Daddy and I call home. I don't bother to even light any more candles; I just sit in the dark, wishing it will swallow me whole through the ticking minutes passing by. After the revelation, I had rushed away to sit by myself. I could hear the tone of his voice, and it still brings tears to my eyes. He's given up - he's resigned to the simple idea of sticking together. He wants me to go -he doesn't want me here. A tear slips and I bring my knees to my chest, curling into myself. I don't hide my eyes - I want to look in front of me. I want to see the way the flame of a never-ending candle blows around in the darkness. It's the only constant light we have - and it's in honor of one horrid memory. More tears slip out, and the silence encompasses me. I despise it - I hate not being distracted. Everything that I had buried deep inside me is resurfacing, just with the thought of losing the one family member, I have left. 

   "Jack." My dad's voice breaks through the silence. 

   I look up to see him sitting beside me, and I try to wipe some of the tears away as I look back to the flames. His hand rests on my shoulder, and the concern in his eyes is prominent - even as I face away from him. 

   "Oh, hey, Daddy. I didn't hear you come in." I hate the way my voice wavers, and I clear my throat to push it away. 

   "What's wrong, child?" My dad puts his hand on my forehead, pulling me towards him as he tries to search for a solution

    I'm silent for a moment, gathering my thoughts and trying to piece everything together as the tears finally slow to a stop. "You want me to go," my voice is a whisper, but I have no doubt that he hears me. His arms tighten around me, and I can't stop myself from wrapping myself around him, laying my head on his shoulder. "I don't have to go, right?" 

   "I really don't think it's a good idea to refuse, son. As much as I want you here...there's nothing here for you." 

   His words make my head shoot up, almost knocking into his chin. "You're here!" 

   "And when I'm not?" His command sends me into another silence, and I see Dad waver. He softens his voice, ducking his head so his golden eyes can gaze straight into mine. "Nothing lasts forever, Jackson." 

    The reminder sends a wave of pain to my chest, and new tears spring. Daddy and I glance at his and Mommy's wedding portrait, lying right above the candle that once held my attention. 

     "Seraphina would have preferred for her child to have a better, safer life. And so would I."

    I can't believe this! Why does he want to send me away!? 

    "But-" 

"No buts, Jackson Overland Pitchiner Frost. You deserve what was denied to you since birth!" 

     I stop talking, my breath hitching at the use of my full name. I hate it when he does that. Though, I can't get mad at him - not with the way his eyes hold a serious, faraway look in his eyes. 

"When you go there, undoubtedly, you will meet your other relatives." 

"Other relatives?" 

"Yes, before I became the Nightmare King, little one, I was the son of Tsar Lunar of Moonland. My name was Kozmotis Pitchiner. I had a younger brother, Sanderson Pitchiner, also called Sandy, and popularly Sandman. 

   Father was not so fond of me. I suppose it had something to do with being an unusual child. Instead of making dreams, like so many other children, I made nightmares. Sandy, though he was mute, was much loved. He had a charming personality and was very skilled with Dreamsand. 

    When I turned 16, I ran away to the army and became the war-hero, General Kozmotis Pitchiner. In one of my many adventures as a knight, I met your mother! She was Princess Seraphina Overland. Her father was King St. Nicholas North Overland. She had an older sister, Toothiana, who would one day marry the Chieftain of the Pookas, E. Aster Bunnymund. 

   She had the powers of nature at her fingertips, she was both gentle and fierce. When I returned home after a long war, my father met North and his two daughters. I tried to ask for our fathers' blessings, for me and Seraphina, to marry. 

   But neither listened. They wanted to marry SANDY to Seraphina. That was the last straw. I enhanced my powers to take control of my future. 

   I managed to rescue Seraphina before Sandy married her, but in order to do so, I had to slaughter a troop of Bunny warriors." 

   "WHAT!?" I jump back in surprise. 

     "I didn't intend to hurt them. But I was still learning how to use my powers. Your mother refused to abandon me and used her powers of nature to fight her sister. 

    Unfortunately due to this your mother and I were stripped of our titles and banished to the Isle of the Lost. I never thought we'd find a way to return, but now it seems you have a chance. So, Jack, take it. Don't look back. Don't try to get me out of here. My story's long since finished, yours is about to start." 

   My eyes pool with tears. I relax back into Dad, looking at the portrait once more. It's always been my favorite picture, of anything in the whole world. I've never seen someone look as happy as my parents did - to this day nothing can make Dad smile like he did that day. 

   Daddy grasps my shoulders, turning me to look into his eyes once more."Promise me, Jack."

"I promise

"I promise." I hug him, knowing I won't be able to do this after tomorrow.

❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

Author's Note: How do you all like this one? Please let me know. Also, please vote, comment, and share! It really motivates me to know people think what I write is worth reading! 🤗🤗🤗