Two Losses in One Night

Author's Note: This edit was made by my good friend and fellow author crossoverLIFE19. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! 🤗

              "KOZY!" My mother's shrill scream echoed through every room. 

             With every shriek came a pain so strong, it slowly tore my heart apart. I had to watch as she thrashed on the bed with a grasp on Daddy's hand. We'd been expecting my baby brother or sister for months. At that moment, however, the jitters that kept me awake for nights on end was from more than excitement. From my view on the stairs, Daddy looked scared. His eyes were wide and shook almost as much as his hands, and I could see his chest heave with every breath. The notion made me tighten my grip on the railing, and I became still as stone. I waited as time passed, only one thought in mind. Daddy's never been scared before. 

              "Hang on, Seraphina, deep breaths!" Daddy ordered, his knuckles white as he gripped at Mother's hand. His other hand, the one unoccupied during the chaos, ran through her sweat-drenched locks.

 His other hand, the one unoccupied during the chaos, ran through her sweat-drenched locks

           I held back a whimper as Mommy screamed again. Tears began to blur my vision, and I squeezed my eyes shut. Mommy's always been strong; an enchantress known for being as fierce and unpredictable as the weather. I remembered every time she hadn't hesitated to punch someone right in the face. She always did that - especially when people claimed that she 'coddled' me. She used to wipe the sneers right off of their chapped lips. She was the one that taught me that love isn't weak. She said love is as strong as the very forces of nature - just like her. Just as a smile began to reach my memories, Mommy screamed again. I flinched back as my body almost tipped over the edge of the stairs.

           "Courage, Angel, courage," Daddy reminded as he leaned down to lay his forehead against Mommy's head

          Mommy released another scream - then nothing. For a moment everything finally settled. Mommy's tortured screams slowed to a gentle wheeze, her breaths anything but steady. I waited for something to happen with bated breath. Then, within seconds, a loud wail sounded throughout the room. I snapped up, stood from my perch and leaned over the stairs to get a better look. A grin took over as I looked down upon my new family. Daddy lifted a little bundle towards the light, where a little baby squirmed within his hold.