DIX - NEUF - MASKS AND DANCES

(a/n a shortish chapter as this is part one of two masquerade chapters!)

Pixie was looking in the mirror in Jordan's room. It was the next evening and she was dressed in a pale green mesh dress, flowers embroidered onto the silk underlayer of the dress. Her hair was pinned half up but the part she admired the most was the mask. It was copper with floral accents and two antlers sprouting from the sides, a silent tribute to the cervitaurs who had saved them back when they arrived here.

Jordan looked at her with a smile, "You look great!" she said before tightly hugging her sister, "Thanks Pixie. For everything, for your support and everything."

Pixie returned the hug, "Don't make me cry or the makeup'll run."

Jordan laughed before taking her sister's hand, "Let's go!"

☀️☀️☀️

Pixie walked down the hallway, holding Jordan's hand tightly, her hands clammy. She would not have been so unnerved if this was a party back in her kingdom. But it was more a fear of the unknown. She felt awkward to be part of a court that wasn't her own. Masquerades had always been a romantic, indulgent... sometimes sensitive event. She was anxious to have to dance amongst some things that had the capability to crush her within a tight fist.

She shivered before looking at in Jordan's direction. The whole phoenix theme she was displaying suited her well- Jordan always rose from the flames. She was feisty and brave, a girl who'd make a guy go on his hands and knees before she did anything he wanted her to- most times she wouldn't even grant his wish.  The deer suited Pixie. She was soft-spoken and gentle but could defend herself if necessary.

Clara, who had been leading them to the ballroom, left them outside the doors. Two guards opened the doors for them whilst a third led them up to a mezzanine level where the queen was stood. Portia was dressed in a dusty grey dress, presumably dressed as a persian blue cat.

Portia walked to face the people, "I'd like to welcome my nieces Pixie and Jordan of the Montgomery throne."

The princesses waved before the Queen spoke again, "I hope you welcome them in our traditional fashion. I hope you enjoy the masquerade." she said, emotionless as usual.

The hall filled with voices again as Pixie tapped Jordan's shoulder, "I'm going to go find Taehyung. Have fun, 'kay?"

Jordan nodded before she heard a cough and turned around. A guy dressed in a crow-inspired outfit was bowing in front of her, "May I have this dance?"

☀️☀️☀️

It definitely wasn't Jeongguk but the guy in front of her was, thankfully, a normal height. His voice was different to Jeongguk's, richer and deeper with an accent that made her eyes widen.

"Ah... Christian Yu, son of the Captain of the Royal Guard." the Queen mumbled into her ear.

Jordan smiled at the guy who was now standing up. The sleeves of his blazer were rolled up revealing muscular arms, the right decorated with tattoos. He had mocha coloured hair, highlighted with caramel and a cheeky impish grim. She almost took his hand before cursing in her mind- what about Jeongguk?

"It'll be fine, Jeongguk can't see beyond your mask, he won't notice." Portia whispered into her ear, "Your fiance won't realise, I promise."

Jordan nodded at her aunt before taking Christian's hand, laughing as he pulled her towards him.