【04】Lunchtime

When we came back after a complete tour of the place, amusing commentary included, we found the team in the midst of an ardent debate

When we came back after a complete tour of the place, amusing commentary included, we found the team in the midst of an ardent debate. They were trying to determine who had been the best Batman so far, mostly mentioning Michael Keaton and Christian Bale. I watched them argue, happy that I'd found my people. I missed being surrounded by geeks and nerds.

I could see what Oli meant; everyone was signing as they spoke. Joseph was as much a part of the conversation as the rest of them, and it was very much appreciated. At home with Tyler, we always signed when he was in the room, even if he was only vaguely part of the conversation, out of habit.

After a moment, they reached a tie, with Joseph adamantly refusing to vote. He argued that the voice was a very important part of the character, so his judgment wouldn't be admissible. Defeated, they all turned to me to settle the debate.

"Hmm... I mean, I grew up watching The Animated Series; so Batman will forever be Kevin Conroy for me."

They remained silent for a moment of serious introspection as I waited for their verdict. The one with the Captain America shirt, Brian, shook his head. "Okay, she's right. He's all I can hear now that I think about it."

The others agreed, and I couldn't help but feel proud. I knew my shit. "So, I guess I'll be working with you two," I declared, pointing at Mason and Joseph. "Anything I can do to help?"

They both confirmed, and we immediately got to business.

Mason quickly explained how things worked. There was an "on-air" sign like they had in radio stations, and the rule was that as long as the light was on, we shouldn't disturb the room. I could appreciate that, knowing coding was a complicated process that demanded complete focus at times.

In order to communicate, we had a Kelex messaging software. If you were working on something sensitive, you could sign off, and no messages interrupted your focus.

After a few hours of working on the task Joseph had given me, I was elbow deep in some C# commands when Oliver sent the first message of the day. It prompted me to look at the time, and see it was already five to noon. It was a grouped message, and enthusiastic answers quickly followed Oliver's question.

——————

Oliver: Lunch break?

Steven: Hell yeah!

Joseph: Ready for it.

Brian: Today I'll beat all of U.

Mason: You finna end up last again.

Joseph: Yup.

Oliver: You're a disgrace, Brian.

Brian: FU guys! I'm feeling it rn.

Steven: Maybe thanks to Andy, you won't finish last for once.

——————

A little lost, I looked up from my screen. The "on-air" sign was off. Confused, I asked, "What's going on?"