【61】No Right Answer

While Oli and I walked to the elevator, I tried not to let my worries invade me

While Oli and I walked to the elevator, I tried not to let my worries invade me. The whole thing had been way too quick for me to sweat, so I didn't think I smelled like sex. Hopefully, I also didn't have Lex's scent on me. I was probably still a little flushed, though.

A quick glance at myself in the elevator's mirror when the doors opened reassured me. My face wasn't overly red, my hair wasn't a mess, and apart from my eyes that were still sparkly, one could never guess I'd just been thoroughly fucked against a door.

Because I was so preoccupied by my own situation, I didn't even wonder why Oli had come up to get me, and it didn't occur to me to ask him. When the elevator doors closed in front of us, I stared at them, not sure if I should say something or not. By the time the doors opened again, we still hadn't said a word. We walked out into the lobby, and Oliver stopped me after a few steps, reaching for my arm.

"Are we okay?" he asked. Surprised, I turned to him, unsure what he meant by that. "I mean... I've had the feeling you've been avoiding me since we left Seattle. Things are odd between us."

I averted my gaze, looking around at the hotel's lobby, wondering what I should answer to that. Somehow, I was more distant. Not because I didn't want to spend time with him, but because I wasn't sure how to act around him. Being around him made me tense, as I always worried he'd try something, mention us, ask me out... I'd told him I might never be ready for him, and I didn't want to hurt him by insisting we would never become a thing. He'd just get over me and move on of his own at some point.

"It's because you've met someone, right?" he asked.

I said nothing again, but my silence was an answer in and of itself. In his eyes, I read the pain I'd caused, and I hated myself for doing this to him.

But in all truth, I hadn't exactly met someone. Lex wasn't "someone" per se. We had an agreement to have naked fun together, and that was it. But since I had experienced things with him, I knew I'd never go back to men who were more friends than lovers. I wanted burning passion, not a comfy, cozy relationship anymore.

Because I must have been Hitler or Zedong in my previous life, my terrible karma acted up again, and Lex exited one of the elevators, close to where we were standing. He noticed us, and his eyes locked on Oli's hand, still on my arm. He looked away quickly, his chiseled jaw becoming even sharper from being clenched. Fuck.

His only way to get to the bar was through us, so he headed our way. At the precise moment he was at ear's reach, Oli – who hadn't noticed him yet – insisted. "Is it serious between you and this guy?"

Lex's brows frowned, and without the shadow of a doubt, I knew he'd heard Oli's question. Very naturally, he stopped in his tracks and took out his phone, apparently checking something on it. I wasn't fooled, though, and I knew he was remaining close enough to hear what I'd answer to that.

Scratch that previous thought. I wasn't Hitler or Zedong in my previous life. I had been both of them at once. And throw in Stalin and some Pol Pot for good measure. It was the only way I could explain what the fuck was going on right now.