【35】Cliche Makeover Scene

Of course, my wishful thinking did jack squat, and the uncomfortable work environment persisted for the next following days

Of course, my wishful thinking did jack squat, and the uncomfortable work environment persisted for the next following days. Lex was barely here, away for meetings or working downstairs, and every time we came across each other, there was this silent tension in the air.

I still couldn't understand what had gotten into me. Clearly, the man was attractive, and he exulted sex appeal – at least to me. But I had never lost control of my impulse like this. Alexander Coleman was my boss, my direct superior. He wasn't even my type of man, as I preferred the ones who were more laid back, less obnoxious, less handsome, less... everything.

It was hard not to dwell on the fact that he'd kissed me back, that he'd been as much into this moment we'd shared as I had been. Even more than me, actually, since alcohol hadn't played a part in his looseness. In full control of his mind, he'd been as willing as me to engage in sex, and the knowledge disturbed me. Kate had been very right, and the man was attracted to me. Self-confidence wasn't my forte, clearly, but twenty-six years on this planet had taught me I wasn't the type of woman the Lexes of this world were into.

Still, there we were, trying to work in a tense atmosphere, pretending the kiss had never happened and basically ignoring each other's existence altogether. Or at least, I pretended to ignore him. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't wipe those memories out of my head. That kiss, that amazing, earth-shattering kiss was now engraved in my brain, and I kept reliving it.

In a failed attempt to calm down my needy hormones, Idris had been doing overtime ever since the car incident. I'd pleasure myself to the point where my poor clit was about to fall off. But it didn't matter how many times I'd make myself come, my body reacted to his presence each fucking time we were close.

I hated how he had so much power over me. That horny teenager phase has never hit me when it should have, but this was probably what it felt like. On Wednesday, I was particularly glad to leave work, both for my date with Oli, but also because Alexander had spent a good part of the afternoon working next to me. After so long spent in this tense atmosphere, I needed some fresh air.

When she saw me exit the office with my things, Tamika grabbed me firmly and dragged me to the elevators. "What's going on?" I managed to sign with my wrist still in her hand, amused by her attitude.

"I'm not letting you miss another date with Oli. We are going straight home, and I'll help you get ready."

I let out a laugh, amused by her involvement in my love life. Determined, she made us walk at a quick pace, we caught an early bus, and in no time, we were in our apartment. She threw me in the bathroom, insisting I scrubbed everywhere, while she prepared everything else. I held back an eye roll, feeling like she was taking this way too much at heart. Still, I was touched by how responsible she felt for tonight's events.

I scrubbed myself everywhere as instructed, shampooed, and even used the expensive conditioner I had. When I came out of the steam-filled bathroom, I went straight for my bedroom and found Tamika taking out a bunch of my clothes. My eyes locked on the black dress I'd been wearing Saturday, displayed in the middle of the bed, and my throat clutched.