【05】Making new friends

Did I have the ability to summon the man with my thoughts? I stared up into the icy gray eyes behind his glasses

Did I have the ability to summon the man with my thoughts? I stared up into the icy gray eyes behind his glasses. He frowned when he saw it was me and bent to grab my phone before I could. He glanced at the cracked screen for an instant and then handed it back to me with a shadow of amusement. Yes, I was clumsy and had broken my phone, like millions of people.

"You should look forward when you walk," he declared. His voice was stern and cold, but I barely noticed as he adjusted his glasses, and my brain went MIA. Damn it, since when do I have a thing for men wearing glasses?

Trying to appear unfazed, I looked at the papers in his hands. He hadn't been looking either, or this wouldn't have happened. He seemed to catch my train of thoughts. "I was working, you were texting. Not the same." Agreeing that he was kind of right, I kept my mouth shut.

Or almost.

"I guess it's still better than randomly receiving nudes," I boldly stated. Oh, shit. Okay, I really needed to cut my tongue out, for my own survival.

My reminder of our elevator moment disturbed him for about a second, and I read the warning in his authoritative eyes. Without saying anything, though, he quickly dismissed the awkwardness. "Are you looking for HR?"

"Yes, they sent me an email, I have to sign my contract."

"Third door on the left," he explained, before going back on his way. After two steps, he turned to me again, hesitant. A faint touch of appreciation veiled his stoic expression. "By the way, not too bad, She-Hulk."

Not waiting for my answer, he resumed his course. I stood there grinning like an idiot, as he walked away. Pride swelled in my chest, not because he was my boss, but because he was a fantastic player, and getting recognition from him was grand.

As he walked away from me, I couldn't help but take a few seconds to admire his form. He was at least 6'3, broad shoulders, narrow hips, and had a lean frame. He wasn't buff, but he definitely worked out. Yes, there was no doubt that this ass did squats.

He eventually stopped, quickly knocked twice on a door, and opened it without waiting. He disappeared into the room, and losing sight of him gave me back control of my brain.

I glanced down at my phone, and maybe for the tenth time today, cursed myself. My screen was still on, and on it, the message I'd sent Kate. "Hi, babe! I miss you so much already, I can't wait to see you tonight. It's going great, except for my boss who might simultaneously be a sexist asshole and the hottest man I've ever laid eyes on."

Okay, if earlier I had wanted for the ground to open up and swallow me, it was nothing compared to now. I was one embarrassing moment away from leaving everything and becoming a llama shepherd in the Andes mountains.

Could he have read it? He had his glasses on, so he could have, but he hadn't gazed at my phone for more than two seconds, and the cracked screen could have distracted him from what laid behind it. It was very possible he hadn't seen it. He would have said something otherwise, like fire me, argue he wasn't sexist, anything.