【38】Dilemma

When I arrived on Thursday, the day after the date, I was still confused by how I should deal with things

When I arrived on Thursday, the day after the date, I was still confused by how I should deal with things. But mostly, I was angry at myself.

It was hard to make peace with myself over the fact that I'd used Oliver with so much selfishness. What kind of psychopath would treat sweet Oli like this? I was almost certain he had feelings for me, and I'd disregarded that to try and fail to make a statement to myself.

Yes, I had a problem. A Lex problem. But going around and assaulting other men wasn't the proper way to take care of it. Oliver had nothing to do with this, and I would have to get rid of the issue on my own, and then would have the possibility of going back to Oli.

So now, what I had to do was to explain to Oli I needed some time, even though my actions during our date seemed to convey the opposite. I didn't want to lie to him, but I refused to hurt him with the truth either. So I would just have to explain I had things on my mind, which had led me to kiss him, but I needed to sort it out before we could go further.

During the day, I would prepare myself and then seek him out so we could talk.

While Tamika and I were waiting for the elevator to arrive, I was trying to come up with sentences, plausible explanations, and all. The doors opened, and as we were making our way in among the people, a hand grazed my shoulder. I twisted my neck to glimpse at its owner, and my breath caught in my throat when I met two amber irises.

Oliver.

Fuck! No, not now! I wasn't ready to face him, unsure what to tell him, how to preserve his feelings, how to act...

For his part, Oli seemed to know exactly how he felt, and he gave me a broad grin, his eyes glimmering with happiness. "Hi, She-Hulk," he greeted me joyfully.

I forced a smile on my lips as we entered the cabin. "Hi." I glimpsed at Tammy, beside me, and I saw her pretending to pay us no mind. Oh, she most surely would read our lips and get as much as she could. Oh, that was just great. Seriously, why do the worst situations always happen to me?

As if God deliberately wanted to remind me things could always get worse, Alexander entered the elevator as the doors were about to close. Okay, now I was confident that I was cursed. Someone had hexed me, and my life was doomed.

"So," Oliver started once the doors were shut, absolutely unaware of my immense discomfort. As usual, the cramped space was packed, and Lex was right next to me, which meant he could hear everything. "Last night was nice. Didn't go exactly as I'd planned, but I think I prefer your approach," he said teasingly. "The Uber driver pestered me the entire way to my place."

Could I faint and pretend a loss of consciousness to get away from this? No, it was the cowardly way, and Hernández women weren't cowards. Except when it came to poultry because hens and geese were nasty peckers. I'd learned that the hard way when visiting distant family in Mexico.