【03】The Dream Team

After finally settling on some heavy metal – the most distracting thing I could handle without actually being too distracted – I turned to my screen

I did an initial assessment of the script, trying to understand its purpose. It was in Python, the scripting language I was the most comfortable with.

From what I could gather, Kelex had developed an app designed to overpower pre-existing operating systems, to make it more suited for various handicaps. Those OS, having several updates a year, required Kelex's apps to follow and adapt constantly. This was for the last iPhone update, and from what I could read, Apple had changed things regarding the calls and messages, rendering the current Kelex app obsolete.

Once I reached the end of the script, I dug in, encouraged by System of a Down's Toxicity. I changed a few lines, corrected a few mistakes, and did my best to clean the script and add comments, to make it easier to follow. Brian was a messy coder.

I managed to stay as focused as possible, distracted from my new boss's presence by loud notes and melodies raging into my ears. However, every now and then, he would lean forward to observe more attentively what I was typing. Every time he came closer, my body froze as I tried to keep going. At some point, he accidentally touched me, and the electrifying contact made me jolt, my fingers missing a few letters on the keyboard.

I hadn't been with anyone in a while, and while I was fine with it, my body seemed to have other plans. Those greedy hormones... Having this infuriating man making me feel so on edge every day of the incoming week was out of the question.

Shaking those thoughts out of my head, I decided to focus on my task. Right now, I had something to prove. For the next sixty minutes, minus some, I was an emissary for all the women in this world. This arrogant and misogynistic ass needed to be shown that we were as good and as worthy as men.

Working as fast as I could, often glimpsing at the time on my screen, I focused on my task. I could do it. I had to make it work.

As usual when working like this, time altered, going faster than it should feel like. Every time I checked the clock, it had a few more minutes than I was willing to accept, but I wasn't Hiro Nakamura, and I couldn't make time stop or slow down.

I was typing the last command when Mr. Coleman reached for my headphones and pushed it away so I could hear. "Time's up, Andrea," he announced. Shit, him saying my name definitely did unholy things to me.

After pressing enter, I moved away from the keyboard, almost out of breath. An hour had flown by in what had felt like ten minutes. Looking around, I noticed the guys standing behind us, also curious.

I looked at my screen, hoping I had succeeded. There hadn't been enough time to do the final sweep check, but I didn't think I'd missed anything. Please, I prayed in my head, let me have this one at least. Impatiently, I turned to the boss, waiting for his comment. Without moving his eyes from my screen, his mouth bent downward, as if impressed. I rejoiced internally, but a little too early, alas.